GonHuntin

? for trolling motor or 12 volt DC motor gurus

Thinking about building a heavy duty broadcast spreader to spread pelletized lime and fertilizer on food plots. I have a small moultrie spreader that I use for broadcasting seed, and it will work for pelletized lime, but I need to spread several tons and I don't think it is up to the task. My thinking is to build a trailer mounted spreader with a plastic drum for the hopper and a 12 volt motor that has enough torque to handle the lime. I don't need high rpm, if it will broadcast the lime 5' on either side I will be happy. I have another old spreader that I can rob the feed gate from, so that is not an issue. Pelletized lime is about the size and consistency of bagged fertilizer.

My brother and I were brainstorming this project and he suggest that the motor and speed controller off an old trolling motor might work, but I am hearing that trolling motors will overheat if not submerged?? If the motor won't overheat, it should have plenty of torque and the speed controller will let me adjust for spread.

Any experience running older 12 volt trolling motors out of the water??

Any better suggestions for a sealed 12 volt motor that would work??

Thanks

I have never run a trolling motor more than a few minutes while not in water, but I would think there might be a way to rig up an oil bath of sorts to keep it cool.

Amazon has several options for DC 12V motors under $30, just depends on how much you want to spend, or how much motor you need.

Cal

I'd look for a continuous duty, fan cooled, permanent magnet, ball bearing gear reduction motor,. Something in the 100 to 200 rpm range. You should be able

to find one for about 50-100. If possible 5 to 10 ft lbs. (60 to 120 inch lbs)

I doubt you will be able to control the speed of the motor without spending a bunch of money but you should be able to control the width of the throw by putting some

kind of deflector on it. You can control the amount by the feed gate as you suggested.

I'll look in the shop and see what i have, probably nothing, but one never knows.

I am betting on Shooter. I have seen his shop!!

Mark , check with your feed store . I use their big hopper trailers/speaders all the time to spread fertilizer and seed . The ones they have hookup to my bumper pull and will hold several thousand pounds .

Doug

Where would I get a motor like you describe??

I thought maybe I could use the speed controller off the trolling motor to control the motor?? I have an old foot controlled motor with the speed controller in the foot pedal, the steering control cable is junk so I don't mind tearing it apart for the controller.

Bennie

I'll look around but I have never seen a fertilizer spreader at any feed store around here. The problem is this is generally ranching country, not farm country. I called a place that sells ag lime about 30 miles from my property and asked them about anyone that spreads in the area, they said the only one they knew of was 2 hours away!!

The guy that came out and looked at my place is the only person I have ever heard of that spreads lime or fertilizer within an hour's drive of my place. His suggestion was to find a dump truck driver that would pick up some lime and dump it at my place.....and spread it with a front end loader. Both my buddy and I have tried to spread with a front end loader and it just doesn't work well.

I'll do some more checking around and see what I can find.

Thanks

Next thing to try , is the rental places , some of them have a spreader that hooks up to a three point hitch and will hold about 250 to 300 at a time . I have one , wish I was closer , I could help you out .

Here's one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/179-RPM-12-VOLT-DC-MARK-CART-DUOYOU-200-1091-INLINE-GEARMOTOR-5-1800/271466500482?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D37798%26meid%3De5e6e6561de8413ea1a574b788667d99%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D371059071822

There are a ton out there. Some better than others. I'd suggest doing some research before buying anything.

Dayton makes some but they are pricey.

You could probably source one locally.

Mark, I probably have one of the old-style Sweeney feeder motors, the kind that were used with the aluminum "funnel" at the bottom of the barrel, laying around somewhere. These were maybe 2" or so wide, and 3" or 4" long, if you don't count the shaft for attaching the throwing plate. It is the kind that originally came with the old analog dials that you put pins in to set the throwing time. They were pretty tough motors. We bought them in the 1980's, and they were still working as of a couple of years ago when I went to the digital timer and smaller motors. I don't think I have the throwing plate anymore, but it should be easy to make one out of a paint can lid, etc. Whether it would hold up to continuously throwing a ton of fertilizer, I have no idea, but you are welcome to it if you think it might work. It's somewhere out in the garage. I also have one that's 6 volt.

OP

Mark , you might look at some of the deer feeder manufactures , they have really strong 12 volt motors for feeders that will sling the heck out of whatever . I have one that will knock your eye out at 20 yards . I also have a 100 lb hopper tailgate feeder that slings it pretty well . Something like that might work for you .