Highlander

Super RedHawk .44 Mag

Anyone ever mounted a scope on your hunting pistols ?

Considering mounting one on a Ruger Super RedHawk in .44 mag so I can hunt out to 100yds this deer season.

I handle it just fine out to 50yards but I struggle with consistency at 100yards.

I cannot imagine needing anything greater than a fixed 2X but would like others experience.

Considering the following manufactures: Leupold, Burris and Nikon. I'm open to recommendations.

Ive had scopes on my handguns for at least 30 years . Have had good luck with Nikon and Leupold never tried a Burris. The best scopes I have ever used in my opinion are Thompson Center Variable power I have several on my Contenders and Encores. Had Tasco send me a scope years ago to test for them and it only lasted about 600 rounds on my Super Blackhawk 44m and then just went all black . My TC scopes have hundreds of rounds up to 45/70 , 375 Win , 44m and other high recoil rounds ,

Highlander

I have never scoped a revolver but have lots of experience with scoped single shot pistols, some are really heavy recoilers (338-06 ackley improved, 375 JDJ etc.) . I have used Leupold, Burris and TC handgun scopes with good results and wouldn't be afraid of using any of them on your revolver. I don't know if TC still makes handgun scopes.

Even at 2x, handgun scopes have a small field of view (21' @ 100 yards for Leupold and Burris) and eye placement is critical compared to a rifle scope.

I've tried one on my Taurus .44 Mag and found I shot it better without the scope . As Mark said the field of view is narrow and I didn't like that .

I've tried one on my Taurus .44 Mag and found I shot it better without the scope . As Mark said the field of view is narrow and I didn't like that .

With the eye relief being 10-24", I figured the FOV would be an issue and my main concern.

I even kicked around the idea of a Trijicon RMR.

I greatly appreciate the feedback all.

The Trijicon should be great. I put a cheap Leepers green/red dot sight on my 460 S&W mag a couple of years ago just to see how they were on a handgun. I was surprised it has functioned flawlessly shots over 120 yards are no problem. If it quits me will be replaced with a better unit .

I have had good luck running Leupold 2X and 4X pistol scopes on a TC in 357 Herrett and a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44Mag.