amigo

What one caliber rifle for texas hunting

Well, for general all around hunting I'll grab my Martini in 30/40AI, hasn't failed me yet. Haven't had the opportunity on big stuff like elk but I wouldn't change anything. For varmints a Handi in .22Hornet or .223, just for general gits and shiggles either a Cadet in .357Max or a Handi in .445SM. As you might surmise I'm partial to single shots, got a couple of them modern repeaters but haven't used them in many moons. Archie

Archie

I also am partial to single shots , Got all my TC Contenders & Encores , 3 Pedersoli Sharps , and 3 #1 Rugers. . Im also partial to lever guns but don't hunt with them as much as my single shots.

For years I have pondered the answer to this question, and always came up with the 243 Winchester. However, due to my options being reduced to an AR15 in 223/5.56 I am rethinking things. Having used a .22 Mag with great success on out to 150 yards, I believe I may well be suited to use a 223 out to 200 or further for most anything in Texas.......given proper shot placement.

Guess we shall see come the Fall, as I am planning to hunt Deer and Pigs with the one rifle I own. In the mean time I will practice a great deal.

Cal

I agree with Bob. And if there are empty spots, sign up! Don't let it get to the point where things turn to regrets like it has for me. When my health was good, I was always working and never set aside time for things like that. I always thought the freezer-filler hunt was a great thing, too. But I never made it and thus missed out on meeting great people and having a wonderful time. Now, things like that are no longer feasible for me -- and I can assure you that looking back can be frustrating. Don't let that happen with you....

Bobby is so right. God does not promise us another day, so live each one to the fullest and I think that is what he expects us to do. Someone asked me when I was going to retire and I responded, "Why would I retire, I am doing what I love and hope to be able to hunt at least another 15 years". I have too many friends that worked all their lives and sacrificed until retirement, hoping that they could do the things that they wanted, only to find that they were too old to do them.

I can't cover the miles that I used to and I might hurt a little more in the morning when I try to roll out of bed; but I will be dang, if I am going to quit. My roll model is J. Martin Bassinger, a cat hunting buddy who hunted until he was 85 or Vernon Crawford who celebrated his 95th birthday while mule deer hunting in Colorado.

Every day and good health is special and a blessing,

Adios,

Gary

For a one gun Texas Hunting I like my Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308 Win. You have standard ammo and can soften it up with Managed Recoil by Remington. Mine is a very accurate consistent less than 1 1/8" in 200 yard zero. Also, the 2-7 Hi-Lux Long eye relief mounted forward is just great for quick target acquisition.