amigo

What one caliber rifle for texas hunting

If you could have only one rifle caliber for Texas hunting, what would it be and why? (7M-08), for me 'cause I usually hunt hog and deer).

If you were to add a caliber for the hunting you do in North America, what would it be and why? (35 Whelen for me "cause I already have one and it would be sufficient on Elk, Moose, etc.)

If you want to add a two or three caliber battery, feel free to do so(after answering the above two questions).

I like my 6.5 Grendel (but 6.8 SPC would fit just as well here) quite a bit. Why? AR15 platform, relative low recoil, excellent terminal performance. Works nicely from mice to 270 lb boars.

I would say 260 AI. Because I like to be different. And it will kill anything I need to. And if I had a second choice it would be 17 hornet for small game and cheap reloading.

For me, that would be easy -- and the same cartridge that I have been using in a 20 1/8th" Contender barrel for right at 20 years now. It's the 7mm Bullberry, an extremely mild and efficient little cartridge that will take down any buck or hog inside of 300 yards. It works just as well on predators, and the bullets -- launched at pedestrian speeds -- don't damage the valuable pelts, either.

71195efe-483b-46ad-9869-52a26c537f78_zps

bobcat-7mmBB-2-20-2013_zpsad9b8041.jpg

coyote2-11-16-12-DSC_0406.jpg

grayfox-2-txt-LOWREZ.jpg

boar-7BB-lowrez_zpsllj7kucj.jpg

cartridges-2.jpg

For Texas and most everywhere else for deer/hog size game , you can't beat a .243 IMHO . I use a .264 Win Mag for Elk or have in the past , been thinking on upgrading to .300 WSM . I did become quite partial to my 6.5 Creedmore last year , deadly accurate and plenty of knock down .

I'll go with Benny on this one. I've killed more deer and coyotes with the .243 than any of my other guns, and so far none of the ones I have killed have come back to life. Also, I've owned it longer than any of my other deer rifles, since 1971. My second choice is probably my 30-30 WCF, simply because I have always liked a lever-action rifle, and it will kill most everything I will ever get to hunt. Something to say for nostalgia, in my opinion. I personally wouldn't want to get shot with any of the calibers that will be mentioned here, and I would bet if the game had a say in the matter, neither would they.

I like a .243 bolt gun for anything in Texas. Although I must admit I do all my Pig hunting with an AR-15 chambered in 6.8 spc II. Both do nicely on varmints, deer and pigs.

I like my 233 and 300WSM. I don't guess I could pick just one! Wish I had a 257 Wby also!!

Hands down, for Texas and the rest of the world, the venerable 30-06 would be my first choice. It fires everything from #1 buck for squib loads for birds and small game to 220gr for moose, bear, and large African game. The 30-06 has been used by various famous hunters to take every dangerous game species out there on every continent. Is it perfect for dangerous game?...no, but it is capable. Needless to say it is more than adequate for anything in Texas or the US. The fact that factory ammo can be found almost anywhere in the world with a wide range of loadings makes the 30-06 the most universally useful cartridge available.

If I could add one more caliber to the arsenal, it would be the 375 H&H for many of the same reasons as listed for the 30-06 but with the added safety of a larger, harder hitting caliber for large and/or dangerous game.

The third round of the trifecta would have to be the .22 LR. Cheap and plentiful (well, it used to be!) and universal as well, nothing better for small game and pest control

I have to agree with TxMike on that too. I have a 1903 Springfield that I got in the early 60's . I put a lot of game in the freezer with it .Always been my go to rifle about 90% of the time. For anything bigger it would be my 416 Ruger #1 . Having a 22 is again a necessary rifle too. Like potato chips I cant just have one.