pgar171

South African Safari

Took my 14 year old on an South African Safari and just got on Wednesday. We hunted the Limpopo region of South Africa with Hunter's Rock Safaris. Great outfit, tremendous game, good hospitality. Owned by one of the few female PHs in South Africa. She was our guide the entire time and first rate.

Sebastian is my youngest. He is 14 years old, and has been hunting with me since he was 3 or 4 years old. He took 9 animals with 1 shot kills. 7 of them were taken with my Hill Country Rifles custom 300 WSM lightweight shooting 180 grain Federal triple shock. 2 of them were taken with my Hill Country Rifles 280 action with a proof research barrel shooting 140 grain Nosler Accubond factory ammo. Now for the pictures in order of harvest:

DSC07640.jpg

First animal for him was this impala. taken at 120 yards. Head on chest shot.

IMG_0499.jpg

This was a great shot. 80 yards. Angling towards him with it's left shoulder aimed at him. The PH asked him to put it right on it's left shoulder. The bullet was recovered in it's right rear leg. The zebra went legs up where it stood. The PH has only ever seen this happen a couple of times in her 15 years of guiding.

IMG_0533.jpg

Gemsbok dropped where it stood. 70 yard broadside shot.

DSC07692.jpg

The wildebeest was taken at 125 yards. It was broadside facing to Sebastian's left. He put it right on the shoulder. It dropped where it stood. When we got to it and began to prepare it for the picture, we noticed the base of the 180 grain triple shock sticking out of the off shoulder.

IMG_0539.jpg

that is the base of the bullet

DSC07746.jpg

150 yard shot on this blesbok. It ran about 30 yards and dropped.

IMG_0584.jpg

great performance of the barnes bullets. the one on your left was recovered from the zebra after traveling the length of the animal. the one on your right was recovered from the wildebeest the base of which was peaking out of the off shoulder.

DSC07794.jpg

The place was covered up in warthogs. He took both of these with the 280 ackley. the accubonds were recovered from both and were completely mushroomed and lost most of its weight.

DSC07931.jpg

DSC08129.jpg

This was the gut shot with the 280 ackley. a really fine example of the common duiker. He also got a baboon, but I can't find the picture.

I got the chance to do a little hunting of my own.

DSC08031.jpg

my best kudu

DSC07850.jpg

a great warthog. with the owner of the ranch/ph El Marie. She runs a great outfit.

DSC07992.jpg

Sebastian and I

DSC07999.jpg

Sebastian and his mom. She was a great sport to go with us.

a great time was had.

Fantastic pictures of an obviously fantastic hunt. Congrats to your son on his excellent shooting, and apparently yours, also. He'll remember that one the rest of his life.

OP

Sounds like a most excellent Safari with the family . Great bunch of trophies that Sabastian will remember his entire life . We hope to go back , still got a Kudu and Gemsbok to get .

A very lucky young man to have two parents interested in hunting, especially Africa. Thanks for sharing.

What a great Safari!!! Congratulations to both of you!! That is a great group of animals, not to mention some great shooting!!

Bob :P