Sign in to follow this  
TheOldPro

Have You Ever Used a Dog Training Collar?

Our little (possibly) fox terrier minds like a gentleman inside. Outside, it's like he's got cotton stuffed in his ears. So I have been considering a shock collar-type device to put his brakes on when he makes a break for it. Vibration would have to do, as I don't ever intend to use the shock function. I have been looking at the multitudes of offerings and reviews of such in the less-than-$100 models on Amazon, and what I have concluded is that hardly no one has actually paid full price for these, and get a "substantial discount" on the collar for giving their "honest opinion" of their almost-free collar. This makes me wonder about their "honest opinion". Most of the brands don't even show up on a Google search when looking for reviews by independent sources. And most of them look almost identical in a given price range with a few variations here and there.

Without paying $300-$400 for the ones that probably might be on the level, does anyone have any experience with any of the cheaper models that might actually be worth the $50-$100 that I have pretty much limited myself to spending on one? Made in the USA might be wishful thinking, but I haven't researched every one out there. If you have had any experience with one, good or bad, I would be interested in knowing about it, and any recommendation would also be helpful. This "free" dog is getting more expensive by the day. If it weren't for the grandkids, I might consider trying to train him to run a little faster when chasing cars. Whoever said that there is no such thing as a free puppy knew what he was talking about. Any input will be appreciated.

OP

When we first got Cersei she was the same way . I put a drag rope about 10 to 12 foot on her collar when I let her out . When she would not come to me and wanted to run , I would step on the rope . After a while she quit running and minded . But not sure if that will work for you .

I have been tempted to get one for my wife, but I am afraid that someone might find that to be uncivilized. Besides my lifespan would be measured in Nano seconds.

I, too, thought if I got one I might try it out on my wife first, just to make sure it wouldn't hurt the dog. Then I remembered I had to sleep sometimes, and that gives me pause.

They do work . When we go into polite company , Billie makes me wear one . That is why I always have a piss stain in my pants . I just can't seem to get it right .

For what they want for some of the "better" collars, I could buy a dog that can read, write, do square root in his head, and teach English at Oxford. My mutt only speaks dog, and does so quite often, which is why I need an "affordable" collar. If he could read Chinese, he could probably figure out how to turn the "cheap" collars on by himself. I'm still looking.

Years ago I found a used DT collar. It was old technology, the only thing it could do was shock. I actually tried it on my inner forearm, to see how bad it was. It made for a quick muscle contraction, and the collar went flying across the room. The pain was instant, and over in an instant. I had a very hard headed lab, that worked great with commands when in a controlled environment. But get in the great outdoors, and nothing doing. I only had to use the shock function (on the lowest setting) just a few times. After that when I gave a stop command, she stopped. I gave the come here whistle, she made a bee line to me.

Collars work for reinforcing what they know how to do. They must know what the command means and what is expected from them, or else the collars are useless.

The male I had didn't need a collar. He was so eager to please, that he responded better to praise then rebuke.

Oh, the main point was that I found that collar used for about $75. Kept it a few months and sold it for the same.

Years ago I found a used DT collar.

Is DT a brand? Or does it simply stand for Dog Training?

Sign in to follow this