cbp210

Hunters education for 10 year old

Hey guys

My daughter is getting older and now she turned 10 and wants to go hunting. I know there are lots of hunters education courses but I am looking for one that also offers rifle training. My daughter is in the 4H shooting BB guns but I feel she is going to need more rifle exposure and training. I remember growing we had the boy scouts but then again that option is not available today. Any info is greatly appreciated.

JMHO, but time at the range and in the woods with Dear Old Dad will mean more to her in the future than any canned Hunter Safety course. There are plenty of online courses you can take cheaply when she needs to have it to get a license at 17. Until then, TPW has a series of videos on YouTube for free that cover most of the bases. You could watch these together and then expand on them with your personal experience. Time at the range with you one on one will probably be more effective than some kind of group effort. Again, just an opinion.

Here's the TPW video series:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCC0CC83E78A22A3C

Hey guys

My daughter is getting older and now she turned 10 and wants to go hunting. I know there are lots of hunters education courses but I am looking for one that also offers rifle training. My daughter is in the 4H shooting BB guns but I feel she is going to need more rifle exposure and training. I remember growing we had the boy scouts but then again that option is not available today. Any info is greatly appreciated.

From a dad for four girls and a master hunter education instructor, there is not enough time in any hunter education class to really do you any good in instruction on rifle shooting. Majority of the courses shoot either a .22 or air rifle, if they offer any shooting at all. The course has been shortened from a 2 day 10 hour course to a 1 day 5 hour course.

I agree 100% with TxMike. It time for some dad time in the woods and/or on the range.

Thanks guys for all the advice. I agree one course is not enough but I also believe in more training the better. I will be taking her to the range and practicing with the 22 rifle and will graduate to the bigger calibers in the future.The only issue is my job which I work rotating shifts and do not have the traditional days off. I have done some research from the TPWD link and found some of these schools have hunters education camps for the summer and I am willing to put her in one. I remember the YO ranch had a summer program with a hunt but they are in the middle of a land sale right now.