TheOldPro

Update on the wife's situation

The last time I posted on this topic, back on April 3rd or 4th, we had just gotten back the results of the MRI scan. Since then, Carol has had blood work, a CT scan last Thursday, and the biopsy on her sacrum Friday. Friday morning, before the biopsy, her oncologist called to tell us the CT scan had also revealed a small blood clot in her lung. The CT report that I could access came in this morning, and there is really no doubt that she has bone cancer, even though the biopsy results haven't come in yet.

The cancer is located mainly in the left top portion of the sacrum, and the left ilium (hip-bone). There is a joint there joining the sacrum and the ilium, and no doubt this is where her pain is originating from. I had to Google a lot of skeletal models to see what was being talked about. For those of you who don't know, as I didn't, the lumbar is the lower part of the back, the "small" of the back, consisting of 5 large, hinged vertebrae. It is the lowest region of the spinal column that is jointed. It rests directly on the sacrum, 5 vertebrae fused together. The tail-bone per se is the last 4 fused vertebrae below the sacrum. The lower lumbar vertebrae can pivot on the sacrum's #1 vertebrae....this can also be a source of pain, since that is the vertebrae that has the cancer, and it is connected by a joint to the hip-bone, or ilium, which also has cancer in it. Any movement there is rubbing on nerves, due to the enlargement of the bone due to the cancer. Carol started on Xarelto last night, a blood thinner to try to deal with the blood clot. If your doctor ever prescribes this, don't read up on it. You'll never take it if you do. She is also now on Prilosec to coat her stomach to prevent ulcers from the Xarelto, and Zofrin to ease her sickness from taking all the other medicine. Her oncologist has already contacted the radiology department at Scott and White to set up radiation treatments on the hip and hopefully sacrum to try to shrink the cancer and bone, and provide relief from the pain as well as slowing down the spread of the cancer. So far, chemotherapy hasn't been talked about. I also learned from my readings that women who have had breast cancer in the past, and men who have had prostate cancer, have about a 67% chance of later having bone cancer. If you have taken the time to read all of this, thank you for your concern. As Winston Churchill once said, "This is not the end; it is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

Jerry

Sorry to hear it Jerry . Let her know she is in our prayers .

Jerry, you and your wife continue to be in my prayers.

Man you guys will be in my prayers!

Jerry

Sorry to hear the diagnosis! I've been on Xarelto for 6+ months without major issue, so don't let the propaganda scare you too much.

One thing I've learned is that dealing with cancer can be just as hard on the spouse, so I'm praying for healing and peace of mind for Carol and you too!

I've been on Xarelto for 6+ months without major issue, so don't let the propaganda scare you too much.

I appreciate that testimonial very much. She will have to be on it at least 3 months, maybe more, and it has been worrying me a lot. To hear that you have been on it that long and have not had issues gives me hope.

Jerry

Praying for yall..

I appreciate again all the prayers and well-wishes. Carol was admitted to Scott and White hospital this afternoon due to throwing up all the pills designed to ease her pain, as well as one to stop nausea. The doctors were certain she would become dehydrated if they didn't do so. Also, nothing they gave her for pain helped, including morphine. She will likely remain in the hospital until at least her third or fourth radiation treatment, beginning Monday of next week, and continuing every weekday for 10 days. I pray this relieves her pain somewhat, because I really don't know how we can handle her level of pain at home. Both of my kids (ages 41 and 47) were with us today, and the day was very sobering for them. I think they realize the long-term outlook is not real good, and I think both will make more of an effort to spend more time with their mom from now on. Something like this makes you stop and reflect on what is really important. I know I have.

Jerry