Sign in to follow this  
GonHuntin

anybody have a current hornady manual?

Thanks Mike, that helps!

Have data from Hodgdon, Barnes says they don't have any, Nosler doesn't list any. Would still like to see Hornady data since they are the "parent" of the round.

Tell us how that round works out , been thinking about it or 300 Short Mag .

Bennie

CDNN has Ruger M77 stainless Hawkeyes in 338 RCM and 300 RCM for $499……..I ordered a couple for a SE costal Alaska bear hunt in June……I'm not a big Ruger rifle fan, but these get good reviews and the short overall length with 20" barrels should be handy. Wanted another stainless Ruger in 350 mag to take, but I bought 2 of the 338 RCM rifles for just a bit more than the 350 mags guns are selling for. Should be perfect medicine for those big blackies

I have the Hornady 9th edition. However it list 185gr GMX as the lightest bullet for the 338 Ruger Compact Magnum.

Alliant RL-15 starts at 51.2 and goes to 57.1

Thanks, I typed 180 but I meant 185 grain……..what does it show for barrel length and velocity at the 57.1 grain charge?

Test data shows: Ruger Hawkeye rifle with a 20" barrel 1-10 twist. Hornady case, WLR primer. Of note to me is they recommend crimping the rounds due to the heavy recoil.

57.1 is a max load and shows to be 2800fps

jhop Thanks a bunch!

Bob

I thought I told you about this hunt??

When Susan and I went to Africa, the boys wanted to go but were too young. We told them over the years that, if there was enough money left in their college fund when they were finished with school, we would take them to Africa. Well, they both did extremely well and got great scholarships etc so there was money left. With Luke's job, he has to get all foreign travel approved and that approval can be rescinded up until they close the doors on the plane. That, combined with the political and health issues in Africa, made us rethink our plans. We decided a boat based bear hunt in SE Alaska would be a better option and we booked the hunt last summer. At that point, we had no idea I had cancer, or we wouldn't have booked the hunt. We discussed the trip with the Doc and he said NOT to cancel, that we could work my chemo treatments around the trip. So, unless I am dead or at death's door, I WILL BE THERE! Oh, and more news you probably don't know about…….there will be 5 of us on the trip. Matt is getting married in May, he and his bride will leave a few days early and honeymoon in Seattle and Juneau, we will meet them in Juneau and fly out to meet the boat from there.

The boy's will hunt first, after one of them tags a bear, I will hunt.

Sign in to follow this