npbb4

.223 mini 14

i tricked my mini 14 out 4 or 5 months ago and had every thing cleaned up and scope remounted. this rifle has always been accurate right out of the box. i am now shooting a 3 shot group 1 inch high that a quarter will coverat 35 yards. back off to a 100 yard and it is shooting a 3 shot group a quarter can cover 8 in high and to the left. it was not 1 time but 4 times today i shot the sames groups almost puting the bullets in the same holes every time.why the difference between 35 yards and a 100 should be real close to same.

Think of a bullet being shot of the barrel. it goes in a very shallow arc more or less. At 35 yards it's at the beginning of the arc and 100 yards its at the top of the arc. I'm betting you have high or extra high rings on your mini 14

I've always heard that if you sight your gun in at 25 yards, it will hit in that same spot at 100 yards. However, I have never found that to be true. What it usually does is get it somewhere on the paper at 100 yards so that you can start adjusting your scope accordingly. I've had better luck sighting in at 50 yards first, but if your scope is way off, you may not hit the paper, thus wasting shots. With the guns I have scopes on, if I am 1/2" high at 50 yds, I know I will be 1 1/2" high at 100, and 50 yds for me is easier to be consistent on, but only because I know from past experience how the guns will do at 100 yds compared to 50. Maybe you can work out your own formula for the future.

jhop you maybe right, when i 1st got it back from the gunsmith it was shooting a 2 inch group barely on paper low right at 100 so i site it in at 35 just got back to itand shooting way hi to the left i will try it again when no wind and not busy

Try zeroing it at 50 yards, might have better look. With the high rings, I the farther out you go the flatter the arc will be.

the ring real not real high but the iron sites still on it, next weekend i mite get enough time and weather to try 50 yards and see where it lands, i though about just moving it back to 100 and then check it at 35 and then back out to 200

If you zero a .223 with a 55 grain bullet at 25 yards . It will be on or near on at 225 yards . At 35 yards the bullet is still rising if your zero'd at 100 !

bennie i was shooting a 55 gr steel jacket hollow point, the only reason i do not think it is the scope is the 3 shot group is tight and originally it was sited in at 200 so i will see what happens when i get to shot it again thanks for all the info, oh and bennie i think i am in your neighborhood right now, working on new plant at wolf hollow for about another week

Come by for a visit . Worked at Comanche Peak for over 35 years total !

A 55 gr bullet traveling at 3000 fps, give or take, as you described one inch high at 35, 8 inches high at 100 is actually zeroed at about 400 yards. That would be with the scope set 3 inch over barrel. Your first 0" would be at about 25 yards, I would bet at 50 yards you are about 3 inches high, at 200 yards you are about 13 inches high, 300 yards you are about 11.5 inches high, 400 yards you are about hitting 0" again. Of course there is wiggle room for your exact specs, but that is roughly the bullet path from barrel to zero.

thanks for all the imput i will try this weekend if wind is not to bad, i will get it right may take a little time and i need the practice, do my 308 ar next

Come by for a visit . Worked at Comanche Peak for over 35 years total !

not isure where you locate and i just mite do that