My bud, Matt Chambliss, and I hunted swan in Hyde County, NC yesterday. This was his first swan and my second. Fun hunt.

post-251-0-95954600-1453049020_thumb.jpeg

post-251-0-39306300-1453049037_thumb.jpeg

way cool, big birds

saw some in Ne. last week along with thousand of canada geese.

How do they taste? I've never eaten one before?

How do they taste? I've never eaten one before?

If he says, "Something like a whooping crane, just not as tough," we may have problems. Nice birds, by the way, USMC-Mustang. Those things are big enough to be FAA regulated. Congrats.

I was waiting for old standard "tastes like chicken"

Nope. Probably tell us that it tastes like frog legs or crocodile, when really it tastes just like chicken.

Thanks guys! The swan taste very similar to beef, believe it or not. Very good to eat.

It's a relatively affordable hunt, even for an out-of-stater.

You will have to purchase a hunting license prior to purchasing the swan "lotto" ticket.

$65 license

$10 swan tag

$100-175 guide fee (they are a dime a dozen in the NE corner of the state)

That leaves you with travel and rooms (the expensive part).

How far away is the hunting from Hilton Head SC? I have some family that has a condo there. Maybe could work in a combo trip!! A swan mounted flying across the living room ceiling is a must have!!!!

Slew, not sure how far the hunting grounds are from Hilton Head. The hunting grounds start just north of Pamlico Sound/Neuse River and run all the way to the NE corner of the state.

North Carolina issues 5000 swan permits annually. There are roughly 7500 applicants each year. Odds aren't bad. If you don't draw the first year then you will the second.

July 1st you can purchase your "lottery" permit.

Drew another tag this year. On deployment now hoping to get back in time to make the season.