Sign in to follow this  
Highlander

Pump 12 gauge

I went to several places today looking for a pump shotgun in 12 gauge. Every single place that I went to said to stay away from the 870.

Has Remington gone down that much ?

I'm looking for a 12gauge that I can change chokes, 20-22" barrel, and with a 12-13" length of pull.

It will be used for predators, mainly wooded areas and will be subjected to abuse.

Hard to believe it if they have. My 1957 Wingmaster 870 pump is still perfectly operational after thousands of rounds through it and hundreds of trips in the saltwater marshes duck hunting. I guess China makes them now. It's sad if true.

OP

I used my 870 for over 30 years duck hunting without a hitch. Only reason I switched to a Browning BPS was because it ejected the spent case out of the bottom of the gun.

I guess China makes them now. It's sad if true.

OP

Apparently, they are still made in the United States, according to what research I have done. That you have been warned away from them is surprising. I, too, wonder what has happened. Cut-backs on the quality of materials? Bad cost-saving practices? Unions?

It's like hearing there may not be a Santa Claus. If you find out what their reasons are for pushing you away from the 870, let us know.

OP

i bought my wife and daughter both new 870 pump20 ga both have been sent back with major problems i keep javing issues with them they will not trust there life with them i am looking at maybe some twice barrels for them

870's from the 70's & 80's and earlier are still great guns if you are willing to buy used. I had heard of quality issues after their buy out by Cerberus Capital Management (Lumped into Freedom Group with Bushmaster, Marlin, Advanced Armament Corp. and DPMS ref. Wiki) Remington seemed to confirm that rumor with one poorly made product after another (the Model 710?)

Remington's plight seems to be yet another example of a huge conglomerate turning it's Mergers & Acquisitions accountants loose on a company with a good name but in financial trouble. It appears Remington was bought, "reorganized", cheapened, and left to ride the coattails of its former glory after stripped of most of it's valuable assets.

I personally wouldn't buy a new Remington for the same reason I wouldn't buy a Chevy. I don't want to reward the scum that ruined a good American company!

M&A accountants are the Spawn of heck !!!

As a side note, Mossberg makes several models of an inexpensive shotgun with changeable chokes and plenty of aftermarket accessories. The design was good enough for the US military in the M590A1.

As a side note, Mossberg makes several models of an inexpensive shotgun with changeable chokes and plenty of aftermarket accessories.

I would like a Mossberg better if they would put the safety on the trigger guard rather than on top....it really messes up a Remington long-time user when the dove are coming in fast a furious. I have had a few feeding problems in my 20 ga. Mossberg pump from time to time, as opposed to never in my 870, I have an old Marlin pump 12 ga. in 3" chamber that I would choose second over my 870 if I had to, but only the Mossberg has interchangeable chokes.

OP

Academy is running a sale on the Maverick 88 for $179.00. It's my understanding there are some minor difference between it and the 500. One being a bolt type safety on the trigger gaurd.

Even though it's not exactly what I wanted, I went ahead and pick it up with additional chokes and # 4 buckshot.

I have hundreds of rounds of # 8 target loads. I will put it through the paces (clay shooting) and if problems arise, I'll report back!

It's my understanding there are some minor difference between it and the 500. One being a bolt type safety on the trigger gaurd.

Front of the trigger guard or back of the trigger guard? Either way, I'll be interested in knowing what you think about it.

OP

Front. It doesn't have a bad rattle like the super nova I sold and it cycles dumby rounds with no problem.

Just finished cleaning it up and will hit the range later this week.

PS: Forgot to mention that at least four different people recommended this gun as a good to great buy.

Edited by Highlander

Benneli Nova is a fine pump shotgun . The one I had never had an issue . would shoot 2 3/4 , 3 and 3 1/2 . It got stolen and I replaced it with a Vinci !

Patterned the Maverick today. I shot Rem (Green/yellow box) and Federal #4 (POWER Shok)buckshot both with 27 and 41 pellets and (very consistant with all loads) everything went well until 40yds.

Got a perfect donut pattern with a 6-8" hole in the middle using a IC .720, M .712 and full .700 chokes. The tighter choke made the hole larger and the IC made it 2" smaller but still a hole in the middle.

None of these loads had buffer in them so I'm not sure if that will make a difference or not.

Still shot great at 30yds or less though so it just may be a 30yd gun using buckshot!

I picked up a Truglow Gobble Stopper .677" choke tube and tested various (see my above post) loads of # 4 buckshot. I found that the Remington, 2 3/4" , 4BK, 1325 fps, 27 pellets patterned with the most consistency. I was able to place 8-13 pellets (best and worst) in a 10" ring @ 40yds. When I moved out to 50yds, the patterned opened up and only 1-3 pellets landed within a 10" ring.

Down below is a picture of the target at 40yds using the aforementioned choke and load. I fired the first round then covered the holes with 1/2" x 3/4" color coding labels (stickers) and then fired another round to confirm my earlier results from two weeks ago:

Note: If I was aiming (broadside) at the vitals of a coyote, the pellets would cover from neck to hind leg.

EBF2496B-3F60-4445-AC6C-F43E48A2F7F6_zps

I purchased my 870 about 5 or 6 years ago and have toted it thru the woods and layed in dew soaked grass since and have yet to have a problem. I don't think they are equal to the 870s of 20-30 years ago (not mamy items are equal to their older counterparts) but I think they still hold their own.

I changed the stock and choke tube and added some fiber optic sights to dress it up a bit.

post-18970-0-78171600-1455169477_thumb.jpg

Most of the problems with the 870s have occurred in the last couple years . Savage went through the same thing in the 70s and 80s . Then came back with a storm .

Sign in to follow this