Sign in to follow this  
Bobby Tomek

277 yard shot from 6.5x30-30AI Contender ended my season

buck-3pt-2015-textLOWREZ_zps2olwkour.jpg

heart-nosler120-_zpsdqbk0akc.jpg

Around 10 a.m. today, I noticed this buck in a clearing, ranged him and verified it was the deer we wanted taken out. With the scope at 12x in the strong-but-diffused daylight, I placed the crosshairs of the 4-a reticle near the top of the vitals to compensate for bullet drop and touched off a round.

The 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip at 2606 fps MV took the ever-so-slightly quartering buck tight behind the onside shoulder, pierced the heart and wrecked the front of the lungs before plowing through the opposite-side shoulder and exiting. The exit was small, perhaps the size of a dime. The buck buckled and made less than 20 yards before folding. No tracking was needed, but had that not been the case, there was a generous blood trail in evidence.

in this county, we are allowed one buck of 13 inches (width) or greater and the other must be a spike or unbranched on one side. I won't shoot a 1.5 year-old spike, but when they get to 2.5 like this one, they are taken out if possible.

Below is my buck from the 10th taken with the 7-30 Waters. Have definitely been blessed again...

buck-2015-border_zps5qikfvhf.jpg

You and that Bulberry are a killing machine . Great shot , wouldn't have to worry if he ran leaving a bloof trail like that !

Great season with some excellent shooting! I just got the call that my venison is ready!!

Congrats Bobby!

WTG!! Great story and as usual, your photographs are excellent.

Thanks, guys.

CitySlickerHunter-We might have to try some chili soon -- maybe this weekend since cooler weather is on the way. Been enjoying venison in simple form lately. I've been cubing or cutting it into small pieces. Today, I dropped a few pieces into a searing pan with 1 tbsp oil, chopped celery, garlic sea salt, black pepper and a hunt of cayenne. It only takes a few minutes to cook. Half-way through, I add about a quarter-to-a-half teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce. I kept it simple and served it over a sliced avocado. Sure hit the spot.

I've also sauteed with walnuts & mushrooms along with a hint of butter and served over a bed of chopped tomatoes and avocados.

venison-for-lunch_zpszpwk6h0i.jpg

lunch_zpsp1hvhiro.jpg

Great harvest and chow pictures!

Sign in to follow this