texan4ut

1st Deer with a Bow

Shot my 1st deer with a bow opening morning. I was drawn this year to hunt COE property around Lake Georgetown.

She aged out 3.5 years so I am guaranteed a spot next year. I can now shot a forked horn buck if I see one.

post-20998-0-27531500-1444158081_thumb.jpg

post-20998-0-79927700-1444158092_thumb.jpg

post-20998-0-27531500-1444158081_thumb.jpg

post-20998-0-79927700-1444158092_thumb.jpg

Good job . That first one is always the most exciting , at least it was to me !

Well done! And now you are hooked!!!

I was lucky enough to take a 5.5 year-old doe two evenings ago. I have always used fixed broadheads and never could bring myself to trust anything held together with a rubber band or O-ring. But the introduction of the KillZone by N.A.P. changed my thinking on mechanicals.

So I used the 100 grain version in my little PSE Fang crossbow, which just happens to combine together to group better than anything else I have ever tried in ANY crossbow. The presentation was not the perfect "archery" situation, but being that I have very limited time that I get to be out there and that the deer were skittish from coyotes howling, I knew it was now or never. So I placed the crosshairs of the Nikon scope (dead-on at 25 yards) on the onside shoulder and let the Victory Archery X-bolt fly.

From 26 yards, it busted cleanly through the bone, nearly split the heart in two and fully exited mid-ribs. The doe dropped within my sight and covered only 33 yards. And if trailing would have been needed, the doe painted quite the colorful path with the 2" entry and slightly-angled exit that measured right at 3".

The broadhead is still intact and sharp enough to re-use. I am impressed.

Congrats y'all!! I hunted opening weekend but only saw little bucks and yearling does. Did have a narrow 8pt that needs to be culled come in twice. Hopefully he will still be on the same stand when I can get little man down there!!

Great Job!!!!