Sign in to follow this  
Bobcat

Nikon Illuminated Reticle?

Have any of you used a Nikon Illuminatied Reticle scope?

Any feedback will be appredicated.

Bob :P

Nikon's illuminated reticle is definitely one of the better ones out there but still too bright for my liking on its lowest setting and under near-dark conditions. But I'll admit being picky in that regard, and Nikon's will likely work quite well in most situations.

I have never intended on keeping any lighted reticle scope until recently. I had a Zeiss Conquest 3-12x56/30mm model that only had 44 clicks of elevation, so I sent it in. They no longer service that model, so it was replaced with a Conquest DL 3-12x50/#60, which turned out to be quite the upgrade.

I'll start by saying they did a disservice to this line by retaining "Conquest" as part of the name. It is far better optically than any Conquest I have ever owned and even convinced me to sell off my last Diavari Victory. The glass is that good.

As to the dot, it is the latest in fiber-optic technology and is small, sharply focused and unobtrusive. At its lowest power setting, it is quite dim and does not affect your vision, even under the worst of lighting conditions. The only way to improve this scope would be to offer it with a #4 reticle, but that -- unfortunately -- is no longer an option from Zeiss.

They are not cheap, and I don't think I could justify shelling out what they are selling for ($1449). But it is a terrific scope.

The image under near-dark conditions offered better sharpness, contrast and -- ultimately -- color rendition than the 2.5x10x50 Diavari Victory given equal exit pupils. It all but equaled the Swarovski PV 2.5-10x56 in that regard. The Diavari Victory does have slightly better resolving power, but it's not enough to make a difference to me.

Sign in to follow this