Friend of JoAnn's sent us a picture this morning, wanted to know what caused these marks on her horse. She was afraid it was a Mt Lion, but not sure if it could be something else, or even where he got into the fence.

I have my thoughts....... What do you old pros think?

post-18368-0-30956700-1433889747_thumb.jpeg

post-18368-0-30956700-1433889747_thumb.jpeg

Barbed wire hangup? They seem almost surgical, rather than the "tearing" wound I would expect to see from a predator.

... what caused these marks on her horse.

I have my thoughts....... What do you old pros think?

First of all, Call Killer, I want to thank you for asking specifically for my opinion on this matter. You are obviously a man of sound judgment and good taste. Feel free to discount the opinions already offered so far. Looks like fence to me.

OP

OP - I shall remember to discount you opinion, and listen to all others. Wait.......no that sounds right. <_< Should have chosen my wording more carefully! :rolleyes:

Rest of ya'll keep the comment coming!

Cal

My horse gets those from barbed wire. He loves tree leaves. So the top strand cuts him up now and then. They don't look deep enough for predator. And horses tend to get predator (ie dog, cat) cuts on rear end first.

I showed your photo to the horse person in the family (she has 4 of those things). Judy said she thinks without a doubt that a barbwire fence or a nail did the damage.

My own opinion is that there should be more than one cut is done by a predator. Just sayin.............

Yep, Barbed wire for certain! Knowing this horse he was looking for greener grass..... Just amazes me how many times folks have asked me about cuts on livestock over the years, and always it HAS to be a big cat or some terrible predator, lol! Not many predators attack from the front, either.

We do have a big cat or 2 that roam through now and then, but rarely attack larger livestock. Did see one of our cows with scratches down her back and hind quarters about 20 years ago, too.

Why does every city born "Rancher" with 50 acres seem to have a Mt Lion stalking everything, lol!?

Call

Call Killer, it's a jungle out there! :( And besides, possible mountain lion attacks are a lot more interesting to talk about than barbed wire scratches! ^_^