Bobcat

25th Posse Hog Hunt-Hunt Report!

Looks like fun for all . I bet Ryan is ready to do some fishing after cleaning all those hogs !

WTG gang. Good shooting. No. On second thought, GREAT shooting.

Looks like Dave shot a hog-rhino hybrid!!

Swinoceros? :D

Hahahaha.....when we pulled up in the buggy that's what I thought too

Well there's very little I can add to the already great recounts and updates. This hunting/varmint rookie is still walking high. It was a team effort and thank you to Bobcat, Ryan, Gary, Gabba D Hut & his son. Gary for getting me involved with this great community and the use of a precision rifle and custom ammo. Bobcat for the great life stories and where to put the cross-hairs on a hog. Gabba & his son for their encouragement and good nature. Ryan for his patience, hunting knowledge and setting me up for success. The accommodations were good, food plentiful and camaraderie like my time in the military. It was already a successful trip for me before I fired a shot. This was a great way to start and I'm looking forward to more experiences like this. When the hogs came in I was trying to remain calm but afterwards was another story - every time I was talking to someone about it I realized I was talking faster and faster.

I had been wanting to do one of these Posse hog hunts for a few years and this year the timing and resources were right. I invited my friend NavyDave to join the Posse and get his hunting license. I took him to the range to teach him a few shooting basics. Dave had never been hog hunting and seemed to be excited about the trip. His shooting skills were just good enough to hit a hog broadside. We were ready to go....Met up with Bobcat, Gabba and his son Ben at 2P< as arranged. Followed Bob to the campsite where we met our guide and fellow Posse member Ryan Longer. The campsite was nice....anytime you get a bed, bathroom and kitchen it is A-OK in my book. Ryan does guided hunts and fishing trips all over the world. I was happy with his knowledge and service.

Our first evening hunt Ryan was going to take us to an area that had not been hunted much in the last month. A rising creek had to be crossed in order to get there. Apparently the water had been rising due to some rains and as our luck would have it Ryan's truck got stuck on the exit side of the creek. Ryan was on the phone calling for Sean the ranch manager to come and pull us out with the tractor. Bobcat followed the tractor with a Ranger. Sean took us close to our stands. I had about a 1/2 mile walk to get to my stand and I was soaking wet from the heat and humidity when I got there.

My first night in the stand all I had show up were 8 does and 8 to 10 coons. They ate their fill of corn. when I arrived at the stand I put my FoxPro caller out about 25 yards and played Wacky Woodpecker to see if I could bet a bobcat to come in. Nothing happened for hours. Finally I was getting bored so I thought I would play with the coons. A couple of the were the size of small Volkswagons and I should have harvested them. Anyway, I played a rabbit in distress call and had a couple come in to investigate. A little later I played Baby Racoon and had 5 come in to the call knocking it over. At that point I turned on a coyote call and watched them scatter. Nothing else showed up that night. Ryan cam to pick us up at 2AM . Two pigs were harvested that night by others.

Night 2. Got dropped off at the stand and it just looked like some game would show up. I had the token armadillo that shows up at everyone's hunting stand. I had turkeys that were fun to watch and Wood ducks. This was all before 7:30 PM. Nothing else but some coons and one doe until 11 PM showed up. A solitary pig showed up but held back in the brush. I went for a head shot and must have missed. Well,, it was not there and we did not find a blood trail, so I must have mussed it. Oh well....Nothing else in the feeder area until 1 AM. A sounder of 15 or more small pigs came in and I was able to get off three shots. two were on the ground and I bet one more was breakfast for the buzzards...we did not find it. At leas I did not get skunked.....All night we were all texting to each other making comments on shots heard and looking at NavDave's first hog... NavyDave let us know that he shot another hog and it was large...Ryan came to pick us up and we went back to the camp.. We were all congratulation NavyDave on his newly learned hunting skills. Ryan said his second pig was large and he needed 4 guys to help get it in the Ranger. I let them go due to me having just gotten over some nasty bursitis in my right elbow....No heavy lifting for me....They came back with a huge hog...NavyDave was beaming...as he should be....BEGINNERS LUCK!! The pictures tell the story.

We stayed up until 6 AM helping Ryan where we could...All of the pigs were processed for the coolers and we tried to get a couple of hours sleep before heading home. this was a great trip and I confirmed the myth that a ginner is a very lucky person....Go NavyDave!

We all had a good time and will be ready for the next one.

You have seen a lot of the pictures...photobucket does not want to cooperated...

A post hunt follow up.. My hunting buddie Eddie B. is a great cook and loves to smoke things to boot. I asked him to smoke the little guys we brought home. They were, emphasis on the past tense, great! Before and after pics below. Ok, not the full after, who. Wants to look a a cooked pile of bones.

post-22538-0-94615400-1429466829.jpg

post-22538-0-72362000-1429466841.jpg

post-22538-0-56560500-1429466851_thumb.jpg

post-22538-0-94615400-1429466829.jpg

post-22538-0-72362000-1429466841.jpg

post-22538-0-56560500-1429466851_thumb.jpg

Gabba...how did they taste? We kept our on ice for a week. Mine are in the freezer just waiting. Enjoyed hunting with you and Ben.

They were delicious! Eddie did a great job with the smoking and the taste equaled the pics. My wife continues to have an aversion to wild game but that's her loss. More me and the kids. I'm gonna try to convice Eddie to join the Posse and sign up for the July hunt since he and I have already agreed we need to take a little smoker to Wyoming for deer season in October. If I succeed in that sign up then that gives me a better chance of holding back a little one or two from my much anticipated hunt with Tinker and crew.