It's probably going to happen, from what I have read elsewhere. It will be illegal and unconstitutional, but that has become a way of life with this administration in all areas. The sad part is, the Republicans again don't seem to have a clue as to how restore the rule of law rather than decree in this situation or any other. They seem to be too busy fighting among themselves to concentrate on winning. If nothing else, the Democrats put up a solid front, not that all believe in it. But that is what the public sees. When we lose this fight, it will be the start of the mayhem of the anti-gun faction's efforts to dismantle the 2nd Amendment before the next 23 months are up. If this were something the Democrats were opposed to, they would have no trouble finding a sympathetic federal judge somewhere to bring it to a temporary halt until it made it's way through the courts, buying time until the next election. The Republicans don't seem able to make it happen.

OP

The panic buying is already starting! ATF tried this once some years ago when a company on the west coast put out a ar-15 pistol.Some provision in the law that disallows AP ammo that can be fired in a pistol if I remember correctly.After some commotion the plan was quietly dropped.At that time I think the deal was with steel core 7.62x39.One thing I can say for the Obama bunch is they have certainly stimulated gun and ammo sales! Best to everyone.Jim.

Keep the heat on your Congressmen and Senators....................

To whom it may concern,
I am writing to voice strong opposition to the proposed change to current law that would make it illegal to manufacture, import or sell on the open market M855 / SS109 ammunition.
The claimed purpose of this change is to "protect the lives and safety of law enforcement officers from the threat posed by ammunition capable of penetrating a protective vest when fired from a handgun".
As the Technical Branch well knows, all rifle ammunition of a common caliber such as .223 / 5.56 is capable of penetrating threat level IIA and IIIA body armor regardless of the firearm that is used to fire it. M855 / SS109 is no more of a threat to law enforcement than M193 or Hornady VMAX loads.
It’s also worth noting that rifle caliber pistols are rarely used in violent crime, their usage is a statistical zero for all practical purposes, which further begs the question as to why this proposed rule change is even being considered.
Banning the availability of affordable surplus ammunition under the false pretense that it’s in the name of officer safety is a direct violation of our 2nd Amendment rights. To reiterate, it is clear that this proposed change places an unreasonable restriction on law abiding citizens that will have unintended consequences and will further negatively impact our ability to exercise freedoms guaranteed to us by Constitution of the United States.
Thank you for your time and consideration,
YOUR FULL NAME (Don't Skip! This is important!)
CITY / STATE

Let's keep this above post by Bob on the board for as long as the issue is not settled. I plan on copying and pasting, and adding a little to it, and sending it today to our senators and my representative (others, too, if I can find them). I also am going to copy to email to all of my friends (yes, Mike, "friend" is plural) who will be interested, and even a few who aren't. We can't wait on this one.

OP

10-4 to all the above! I,ve already written my Reps and Sens though due to the last election they,re all pro gun rights.Even so,the more support we show the easier it is for them to fight this stuff. Jim.

A bit of good news! It's only a temporary or partial delay, but at least the ATF has reacted to the response from our Congress people, the American people, and our pro-gun rights groups!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/03/10/atf-shelves-controversial-bullet-ban-proposal/

I read the actual release from the ATF but I can't figure out how to copy paste it here. Of over 80,000 e-mails to the ATF and thousands of faxes they said overwhelming the response was against. The said that many good issues were raised that need further study. Government speak for somebody said pull the plug on this.

I have recently heard a report from a gun store owner. He indicated that the gov realizes they will never get our guns, but they can apply such heavy taxation on ammo that it won't be affordable. With the gov focus on the AR-15, glad I bought an AR-10...