Sign in to follow this  
MikeI

Stock Tank Ducks

A couple of us went out yesterday morning and worked two of the local stock tanks. The action was fast, furious, and short-lived! The tanks are surrounded by mesquite trees, so we rarely get any warning that ducks are in the area, particularly when the clouds are hanging low. The ducks just suddenly drop in; we jump up; the ducks take off; and we fill the air with steel shot! We had one flock of ducks come into one tank and two flocks at the second one. 20 seconds of shooting; 1/2 hour of waiting; a lot of quality time cleaning the birds. I used my old Remington Model 11 in 12 gauge; the other two guys were shooting Browning A5's in 16 gauge.

post-7794-0-03640500-1420149003_thumb.jpg

post-7794-0-03640500-1420149003_thumb.jpg

cool, I'm trying to figure out what type of duck that is on the far left? Has the bill of a redhead or hen ringneck but that rusty color on the body and black spot on the back of the head look odd. That may be a hybrid of some sort.

nice Mike, we have been trying to get out here in brady, but weather is giving us fits, LOL

Duck on the left does look odd Looks like fun! Haven't duck hunted serious since little man can along!!!

We were unable to identify that duck on the far left, either, and finally decided to call it a hybrid; a product of some ducks getting a bit mixed up in the marshlands!

Sign in to follow this