Wildcards

Night Vision Monocular Recommendation

Looking for an "economical" night vision monocular that works out to 150 yards. Any recommendations? Anyone using a Bushnell Equinox Z Digital Night Vision 6X50? That looks to be the best one I have found so far.

A Cabela's add for a Night Owl 5X monocular got me started on this quest. Read good and bad reviews on it. On sale for $150 how bad could it be? Just want to be able to make out a coyote or pig in the dark.

A friend and I made a foray into Gen 1 (I'm assuming that's what this is at this price) NV monoculars about 2 years ago. We bought Yukon Gen 1 monoculars and ended up returning them.

What we discovered was that the Gen 1 was not much better than the naked eye without additional auxiliary IR illumination(we used a spotlight). Also, the resolution was not very good for seeing beyond about 20 yards.

We decided we should wait until we could purchase Gen 2 or 3 gear for our uses.

I have no experience with the specific unit you are looking at, so it could perform better. I know there are a number of members on here who have acceptable performance out of Gen 1 optics. Hopefully, they will chime in.

Right, Gen I and even Gen II really will need to rely heavily on IR illuminators for the most part.

Everything I see on the Night Owl 5x is that it is a 50-100 yard optic. Even if you supplemented the IR with a separate illuminator, you might not get the 150 yards you desire.

For $150, you might get some good use out of it for shorter ranges. If you buy it, post a good review of how well it is or is not working.