Sign in to follow this  
Coyote EMT

Thanksgiving Hunt Success

Well It is a little late posting, but I had the opportunity over thanksgiving to go sit with my brothers in the deer stand. We had a slow couple of hunts but the last morning we changed spots just to see some new area and we had some luck!!

When the feeder went off we heard what sounded like cattle in the woods, turns out it was about 15 turkeys that were really hungry. I was there to bow hunt and sit with my youngest brother to get him a turkey so all we had was my Rem 700 ADL 223 that I just got a few days prior. Well my brother picked out the biggest bird of the group and as soon as I gave him the go ahead he let it fly. He hit it dead center chest and the 53gr VMAX made a mess of the insides (practically gutted it completely) at about 100 yards. We settled down after the shot, grabbed his bird, and continued the hunt. About twenty minutes later the turkeys came back with reinforcements. About 30 birds were around the feeder so I picked up the rifle to get me a bird. While I was scanning through them I saw a couple of birds walking behind the feeder as if they weren't even hungry. Well the first bird I focused on had a pretty decent beard on him so I gave my brother the box call and told him to stop that bird for me. He clucked a few times and the bird stopped to listen at about 140yards. I settled in and made a shot. I didnt want to mess up this bird too much so I put the VMAX at the base of his neck and severed it right where the feathers start. All in all was a good time and we ended up with good meat.

20141129_083659_zpsde8fa9b7.jpg

20141129_083733_zpsd37a2b48.jpg

Congratulations all around!!

Sign in to follow this