Coyote EMT

Heavy recoil scope question

Hey guys,

I am ordering a 375 H&H, and 7.62X54R barrel for the TC pro hunter. Question is what scopes can handle the recoil. My mosin nagant has ate a few of the lower price scopes (leaper, Tasco, konus), so I am wanting to know what can handle the recoil of the 375 mainly but will probably buy one for each barrel so they have the same feel.

I've found that Nikons and Leupolds hold up best to a heavy recoiling gun. I'm sure that a NightForce or some of the other, top end scopes could handle the beating, but they're way out of my pay grade.

I am a big fan of nikon. I have one on almost every rifle that is scoped. It is good to hear they can handle the heavier recoil.

Hate to steal the post but I have a question for you Coyote EMT. A good friend of mine's dad builds custom guns, makes awesome hand crafted true art pieces out of wood to make the stocks for each one and he recently told me that he was going to build me a gun as a gift. I get to pick everything for it but I figured my first move should be to pick a caliber and then move on to what action and barrel or barreled action. Well I have narrowed it down just to this, that I want a safari gun. But I do want it to be a general all African game capable caliber (excluding elephant of course). The biggest animal I would be even wanting to shoot with it eventually would probably be a cape buffalo. What caliber do you think would fit this build? He has a 300 H&H that I really want to shoot and see how I like but I'm not sure that will fit the bill for buffalo. I heard the minimum for buffalo was a 375, was wondering if that was true. Maybe a 375 H&H would be more up to the task.

I have a Nikon on my Ruger #1 in 416 Ruger .Have never had any problems with it.

I have a Nikon on my .45-70 using Garrett's 540-gr +P loads. Holds up fine. Those loads have turned other scopes into Kaleidoscopes.

Rattleguard

I am going for the 375 H&H to get used to the caliber. I am currently saving for an african trip and I want to have some trigger time and know the weapon. As you stated the minimum caliber is 9.3(.366) or .375, but it must have a certain level of energy. I am not certain on the number there but I know the H&H is above and beyond. I am debating between the 375 and the 9.3X64. The 375 is more popular so I am starting there. Now I know a few guys that have been to Africa and they have told me the minimum caliber is for certain areas, not continent wide. The action I am going to build my bolt gun on (if the Pro Hunter doesnt work out) is a CZ550 Safari. They are built with the control feed mauser design that is tried and true. Also they have some of the best factory wood I have handled. I already have a CZ picked out in 9.3X62 with the Mannlicher stock that is absolutely beautiful.

Another thing to consider the 375 H&H is not just a close range weapon. It has about the same trajectory as a 30-06 with a heavier bullet. In my mind that makes it a more wide range weapon. I am going to put a 3-9X40 nikon on my 375. I feel that it will let me use the full potential of the caliber.

*all above statements are merely my opinion I have gathered from research on the caliber and African hunting* I am sure there are more experienced minds that could chime in.

The 375 H&H or Ruger are not that hard on scopes. I have had a Nikon, Burris and 2 Leupolds on my 375 Ruger none have failed. Step up to the 416, 458 Lott or bigger and you have a scope killer. The Lott has killed three and sickened my Burris 1.5X6 Euro diamond. Burris repair the 1.5X6. The 375s will take all the game animals of the world Including elephant! Its more of how well you shoot it. Do not over look the 375 Ruger. It is gaining ground on the H&H because the rifle is standard action with a 20" barrel it is very handy and cheaper to build! Nosler now makes brass for it and several smaller companies are making loaded ammo. Ammo is readly available in Africa and and else where. The 375 Ruger is a "go to" round for moose in Europe. I thought I would be over gunned with 250 Barnes in my Ruger, it was more just right! Ask the Red hartebest at 340 yards if the 375 ruger is short range? I had a VX-R 3X9 on the 375 in Africa. Turned it down to 4 power and never needed more!

I have really thought about the ruger... Savage makes a package deal "Trophy Hunter" for like 600 bucks. That would be a great base to work off of. Savage makes a pretty decent rifle off the line so modifications wouldnt need to be extravagant.

Being a bit of a Savage fan, I'd say go with the package and smile all the way to the bank and Africa!

I found one on buds for 498. it is a 116 with a nikon.