Sign in to follow this  
Joerg

nc-star su....

...cks!

Sorry about the language, pals, but I´m really pi....d - I got a good bargain on a .30 M1 carbine last week, so I ordered a scope mount and quick release rings for the rifle at a german salesman.

The package arrived last Saturday and I found the mount and the rings in the carton, so far, so good.

Looking closer, I found out both the mount and the rings were made by NC-Star (made in China, but it seems to be an american company) - I paid 30 € (approx 45 Dollar) for the mount, which costs roundabout 6 or 8 bucks at cheaperthandirt.com , which was annoying enough.

So I tried to put the mount on the rifle, but the little block didn´t fit, about 1 mm to big!

So I sent an email to the seller, telling him I want to send the set back - today I got a link to a Youtube-video "how to grind of some of the block" to make it fit. I did, and yes, after some grinding, it fitted,,, I only did this, because that was the only mount with a picatinny rail available - otherwise I would have sent it back!

So I put the rings on the mount, unscrewed the upper halfs, put the scope into the lower halfs (with some adhesive tape) and wanted to screw on the upper halfs again... to cut a long story short: 2 of the 8 screws didn´t get back into the threads again!

I´ve done about a dozen mounts and scopes in the last 3-4 years, also with "cheap" rings - but I´ve never ever had such bad experience with the NC-Star rings!

Just wanted to share this experience, we have some elderly people around which are closer to heart attack risk than I am...

Sorry they put all the responsibility for correctly fitting it on you, Joerg. Some places just have crappy customer service to go along with their shady products.

This is why I spent a little extra for an Ultimak .30 carbine rail that replaces the handguard. Not only was the fit and finish perfect, I have also attached my hunting flashlight there, and have plenty of room to spare.

Joerg,

Some brands are better left alone, and NC Star is one of them, as you have found out. Of course, you didn't know it was going to be NC Star until you got them, but your German salesman "friend" did. It sounds like your rings were about the only thing that didn't get screwed in this deal. I wouldn't bother with sending the salesman a Christmas card this year.

OP

Well, I coudn´t get any other mount with a picatinny/weaver rail over here, so I kept both mount and rings - but I will definitely spend a single cent for neither postage nor christmascard for that sales-guy!

I sent him an email yesterday, telling him that I´m definitely not satisfied with the stuff but - because I need it - will keep it... and that I will NOT recommend his online-shop to any of my shooter/hunter buddys! I was still trying to be polite, now wondering what (if) the answer will be...

got an answer from the salesman:

"You are the first customer in nine years, not being satisfied with the products - sure, You You could get the mount for 10-12 Dollars in the US, but You also have to calculate the costs of shipping, custom and importing fees, plus the 19% sales tax...blablabla - so ouer price of 29 Euro is more than just... Of course, You are welcome to send back the rings and will change them for You! We always want our customers to be satisfied and everything suits..."

NUTS!

btw: I wrote that the mount costs about 6-8 dollars in the US... So much about the guys´ ability to read....

Joerg-

I am hunting with Bobcat next weekend, I will take my carbine with me and ask him to take a pic for me to post. I have no digital camera. Might even try to take a hog with it... <_<

2-Click

unfortunately, the .30carbine cartridge is not legal for hogs over here, not even for roe deer - I bought it as a "side arm" (instead of a bayonet!-))) when I´m out at the feeders for fox, coon and badger... I don´t wanna use my "big .30s" or even .338 for the little fur bearers!-)

Sign in to follow this