Sign in to follow this  
Joerg

caliber advice for beaver hunt

Beavers are a protected species in Germany, but are spreading pretty much in the last years, so in some areas they are allowed to be hunted (with special highly official permission only!).

By chance, I might get the chance to go after one and I wonder what caliber would be sufficient.

I would like to bring the fur to the tanner, of course, but it should also be a clean and fast kill. I can select from some .30 cal´s, 8x57IS, .338LM (which would be a little strong, I guess), .30 carbine, .223rem, 12/76 or .17hmr...

I read about a beaver hunter in Norway, recommending .308win, which seems a bit strong... Would a .30 carbine with FMJ be enough?

European beaver are not as big as north american ones, they weigh up to roundabout 40lbs in average...

At 1900 FPS (some ammo brands will exceed 2000) and carrying 900 lbs of energy, the .30 carbine is enough gun, especially with a good shot placement, but the FMJ will likely pass through, leaving 2 holes instead of one.

I shoot them with .22 short or cb cap. shot is between the eye and ear. no pelt damage and a dead beaver. Killed one which weighed about 60 pounds that way a few days ago. I have a friend who shoots them with the .17HMR out to about 50 yards, she is one heck of a shot !

I'd like to know the range at which you'd be shooting at them. I agree with histopicker if you're going to be up close and personal when you take the shot, but at long ranges you may want a bit larger caliber. For a 40 pound animal, I think anything over a 6MM would be a bit of an overkill, especially if you'd like to do something with the pelt. Of the three calibers you first suggested, I'd go with the .223.

i don´t know the range, yet - but I guess it would be something between 30 and 50 yards (Germany is not THAT big!-)

Sign in to follow this