Sign in to follow this  
Joerg

Joerg´s feederlight 1.0

As I was inspired by some of the feederlights posted in this forum, I made my own thoughts...

Last spring, I bought one which looks like a 10"-diameter UFO, works quite ok, but... that must be more!

These lights, as any "articial light", are not legal for hunting (in the meaning of shooting), but You can use them for observation

Besides, the 85 € (app 125 bucks) purchase nagged a bit on my wallet AND my attitude - so I started thinking (which I do rather often :unsure: ) and did a bit of research - then I bought thispost-22303-0-88517900-1415605996_thumb.jpg

That´s a good quality motion-sensored solar-fed LED-light, which some of You might have on Your doorway, backyard, or whereever. Problem, of course: It´s a white LED, and a shiny aluminum frame...

Getting some camotape was no big deal - the green plasticfoil was.

I tried several shops, like swimmingpool-Shops (there are these green lamps (and other colors) with which You can illuminate the water in Your pool), hardware-shops (no, sorry, sir), etc, without success - then I asked a friend of mine, who´s working in a theatre as an electrician. Last saturday, he sent me some foils which he uses for stage illumination, I chose two of these an taped them on the LED-beamer with the camotape, plus covering the rest of the visible aluminum frame - tataaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:

post-22303-0-21464600-1415606441_thumb.jpg

The whole device cost me:

-55€ for the LED/solar thingie

-8€ for the camotape

-couple o´ beers for my buddy for the foils

That´s app 100 US for a feederlight which might work if the hogs likeit - I will try it out and let You know...

IF it works (and You might have seen in the headline, this one is "JF 1.0") model 2.0 will be with 1000feet-range remote control and stronger lamps!-)

Looks very good, Joerg. :wub::) We'll be interested in how they work out for you!

I saw one made out of a Harbor Freight solar security light. HF has them on sale $19.99 this month. Going to try and fix me one up.

the biggest problem was to get a transparent plasticfoil, which really gives a green light - I was even close to cut up a 7up-bottle, when I remembered my buddy working in a theatre... Now I just hope the foil filters enough that the lamp won´t spook Miss Piggie!

What I have found, Joerg, is that the hogs get used to the light coming on, regardless of the color. First few times it lights them up they may get all nervous and bolt, but once they realize that it's just a light, and not a danger to them, they'll ignore it and eat whatever you've thrown out for them. I've also found that after shooting a few of them under the light, regardless of the color of the light, they become "light shy." They're pretty intelligent animals and seem to be able to tie "cause and effect" together fairly quickly.

I like to leave mine on all the time. Saw it again tonight, when it got dark enough for the photo cell to turn my red lights on the deer in the pen jumped and ran. They did not go far or long but they spooked as they have every other time.Turn the light on and shoot a pig or two, then turn the light on and they are gone! We tried spot lighting them, did not work long.

Sign in to follow this