Sign in to follow this  
Capt. John

Illinois wood ducks

I just got back from spending a few days at the family farm up in Illinois. I had to help my dad move some furniture and a tractor so I decided to go up for the Illinois waterfowl opener this past weekend. It was COLD! 36 Saturday morning and 33 Sunday morning. The wood ducks were on the move out of Wisconsin and Minnesota and I caught them just right. Saturday was slow but Sunday it was game on. Shot some nice giant Canada geese and a few woodies including one wall hanger. Monday morning Earl and I went and walked the ditches on our farm and jump shot wood ducks for a few hours. Ended up with a limit of woodies and the final drake was a bruiser! We had a great time. The birds on our farm were some local ones that are usually always there. I think I am going to build up a few wood duck nests and put them up there this Spring. I really want to be able to do this every October! Earl had a blast but he is wore out! The deer were looking great as well. After dark one night My sister and I were driving around the property and had a monster 10 point cross our path. I love seeing big bodied northern deer. But not as much as seeing Earl with a wood duck!

post-16001-0-23132400-1413988847.jpg

post-16001-0-13243000-1413988854.jpg

post-16001-0-37664000-1413988859.jpg

Here is Earl up at the Barn relaxing after walking a few miles. Those bottoms are where we shot the majority of birds. Lots of good hunting out there!

post-16001-0-48407500-1413989361.jpg

yes sir, The two stud drakes will be mounted together on a small log. I have been waiting on a good drake for a long time. Then I got two in two days! When it rains it pours.

They are awesome birds , some day I plan on getting me one ! Could have already if Neches Bobcat and I could ever hook up , he has offered !

Beautiful birds, Capt.! We're all envious!!

A river bottom, pecan fed woody is the best eating duck out there! Never did get one mounted, too many fly tying friends!

I agree, I grew up shooting and eating them and never really appreciated them for what they were until I moved away and started eating different ducks. The closest thing to a wood duck I have found in Texas to eat is a black bellied whistler or a canvasback. The woodies on our place nest on a creek up in the timber and eat acorns pretty much full time. They are deeeeeelicious!

Man, nice sized wood duck. I killed a few when I was living e texas, but nothing that size. Good eating!

Sign in to follow this