livetohunt

Scope Question

I decided I wanted to slide the scope ring forward on the rail for my Vari X2 on my Tikka T3. I figured it would be more stable if they were spaced part more. I left the rear ring fixed in place. I then realized the reason I didn't move it to the very front of the rail in the first place is because it wont let you slide it all the way up. So, I just put it back where it was and tightened it down. Do I need to re sight the rifle now? All I did was loosen the front ring then retighten in.

I would definitely rezero the rifle! Just the difference in the torque you applied to the screws in the rings could be enough to change the point of impact. I just got back from the range after checking the zero on two of my rifles that I intend to use this deer season. They had just been in the safe for several months, but it was enough to take the POI a tiny bit off, on both rifles, from the zero where I had set it. I've also found that my rifles with wood stocks will tend to change even more than the Tupperware stocks because of the expansion/contraction of the wood.

out of my own poor experience I can only say: Mikel is right!

When I bought my Savage 110, the scope (mounted on Picatinny rail with fast releases) was a bit to far backwards for my taste - fortunately, I did test-shoot the gun after I put the scope about 1" forward. The first bullet was about 2 " off the bullseye (on 100m)!

X2 on everyone's response . Never hunt with a gun that your unsure of !

Always check for zero if you do anything to a scope or it's mounts. Half the time things will be fine, the other half, you will need to adjust something. Only the likes of that mongrel "Murphy" will be able to know which "half" you are going to get this time.

In fact, if you change batches of ammo, even though they are the same make and weight that you always use, do a test and see how they shoot. Better to be sure than sorry.