Sign in to follow this  
npbb4

hog lure

i was wondering if anyone had there own home made hog lure i was told several different things to try and there is not hogs near by or they they do not work just finished mowing off better part of 300 acres and found some signs of pigs and i am trying to get them into a near by pasture that belongs to a corporation and not mine but so far nothing. it is just experiments in case they get to rutting up place again to get them in one area i try not to feed these monsters until I set traps

A couple of things I've done in the past with fairly good success:

Take a few pounds of corn and soak it in water in a 5 gallon bucket until it begins to sour; possibly 3-4 days; but it should smell "sour" before you use it. Then pour piles of it around areas where you have seen hog sign.

Take some more corn but this time put a quart of kerosene or diesel fuel in the bucket and let it work for a day or so. Then do the same thing: put out a few piles and watch for activity.

As you know, the deer corn has no smell, so anything you can do to perk up the smell can help you attract hogs.

Same thing as Mike's first one , but add strawberry or cherry pre sweetened Kool Aid !

+2 to the above. Do a search for "Pig Pipe" too.

I just tack a photo of Tinker on a post and then head down wind. The hogs see Tinker the Hog Slayer and run right to me in terror and I just pick 'em off!

I am guessing you are trying to move or keep them from your place to somebody elses? Good luck! Only the pigs know what the pigs want to eat! I have seen them walk by corn to root for something. The pigs around me do not like dieseled up corn. Soured with beer, water or jello is hit or miss, around me mostly miss! A friend gave me some pig started he had when he got out of the pig business. It was the stuff to get pigletts off the sow and on to solid food. The feral pigs were crazy about the stuff, problem was so was everything else! Deer would belly up to the trough and eat until the pigs ran them off. After the free stuff was gone it was too high dollar to put out. Peanut butter thinned and mixed with corn worked well but I could not afford enough to fill up the deer first!

yes that is the game to try to do keep them out of my coastal on a small tract of land with no known owner near by. i really do not feed them but I have been trying different experiments to see if they will come to it I have saved bacon grease for months and that did not appear to pull any out of my pasture i have had pig pipes for years but you can kiss that part of your land good bye if you use them i have heard jello will work but it did not and that was mixed in with corn in the pipe. cheap also works for me till I get a shot are two.they are not rutting up anything at the present but I also want them away from my water sources.

Well, down here in OZ our pigs are a little less fussy. Some folks just use a dead animal, any animal provided it is large, and let it go smelly in the sun. Pigs have a good sense of smell and will travel a fair distance for a feed of something rotten. Keep checking the bait for signs of activity. Sometimes the pigs will enter the carcase via the rear end and just clean it out from the inside so you need to watch for movement from within.

Probably not a good idea to eat those pigs but some people do.

I would think almost any animal, or animal parts would do a similar job and you may also get some carrion-feeders (Foxes?) coming to the smell also.

hilly i have boneyard where we drag the dead animals to including cows,horse, and donkey and all the varmints we shoot but I have never seen hogs visit the area I do pick off varmints and coyotes from that bone yard. it maybe that there are no hogs in the area at the time they seem to migrate.

Don't know if this is what you are looking for or not....might try burnt oil on two sacks hung on fence line or tree limbs.

npbb4, I guess your hogs are a little more refined than ours down here. Ours will eat almost anything, alive or dead. They compete with wild dogs and foxes for newborn lambs and then go and dig up some nice pasture for desert.

Just an idea, but if deer are getting into the baits laid out for pigs, what would happen if the trough was fenced or covered so that the pigs could get at the grain but the deer could not get in to feed? Something like a fence with holes in it that a pig could get through but was too low for a deer?

Then again, we don't have your deer down here, we have mainly Fallow deer around here and perhaps some farm escapee Chital, I think.

hilly I have seen these white tail crawl under around and through fences same with pigs i have had pigs kill day old calves and eat them so most food is not off limits to them but I have never seen one around my gut pile or bone yard. buzzards and coyotes get there first coon and possum right behind them. I really did not want to spend money feeding them just lure them away from my pastures. I think I have and ideal now on a rubbing post to get the bugs off of them

I have watched a video of pigs trying to get to a Deer Fawn . The Doe finally got them to follow her off long enough for the Fawn to get away !

Over on another forum, I saw a thread where the guy was using imitation vanilla extract poured over corn and was attracting the hogs like crazy.

Sign in to follow this