Sign in to follow this  
Highlander

10mm Reloading Resources in Houston Area

Just started reloading and haven't learned all the resources in the Houston Area.

Need help locating the following:

Powders: Longshot or Bluedot

10mm reloading brass

FYI- looking to push 180 grainers (bonded and hard cast for hogs) to 1200-1300fps out of a 5" barrel

I do have a question for you long time reloaders.

Do some primers have a greater impact on velocities than others such as Winchester vs CCI?

Winchester LPP can be used as a regular and a magnum primer, that means to me it is a hot primer when used in an application that calls for a standard primer. When using a reloading recipe that calls for it, I use it, If the recipe calls for a standard primer other than Win.LPP, then that is what I use. The issue here is pressure spikes rather than velocity. Also, Accurate #9 would be the most suitable powder for what you are trying to accomplish. FWIW, I've been hand loading 10mm for 25 years for my Colt Delta Elite and Glock 20. LOVE the 10.

Winchester LPP can be used as a regular and a magnum primer, that means to me it is a hot primer when used in an application that calls for a standard primer. When using a reloading recipe that calls for it, I use it, If the recipe calls for a standard primer other than Win.LPP, then that is what I use. The issue here is pressure spikes rather than velocity. Also, Accurate #9 would be the most suitable powder for what you are trying to accomplish. FWIW, I've been hand loading 10mm for 25 years for my Colt Delta Elite and Glock 20. LOVE the 10.

Care to share the load data, barrel length, FPS and pressures out of the Glock?

I ordered a KKM barrel for better chamber support.

Found some load data that says 2400 might get me there too, but will take any guidance or help I can get.

OK, here's what I have done: I was looking for a heavy "social" load for my new Glock20SF and wanted to use Hornady 180gr XTPs. The new Hornady manual listed a max load of 14.9gr. of Accurate #9, 1250FPS, but no pressure. The Western Powders manual lists a max load of 13.5gr. of #9, 1242 FPS, and max pressure of 34,100 PSI (max average pressure for this cartridge is 37,500 PSI). So, the load I ended up with is: 180gr. XTP, Hornady case (once fired),13.5gr. A#9, CCI 300 primer, Cartridge Overall Length 1.260. I have not chronoed this load yet, but I eyeballed the primers and miked the case heads and, though a stout load, I don't think it's over pressure. I feel more comfortable with it than I would with some of the hot Double Tap or Underwood loads. My Glock is stock except for a Rock Your Glock steel guide rod and 22lb. recoil spring. I plan on changing to a 24lb. spring for this load and use the 22lb. spring for my "plinking load" (180gr. Ranier FP, 10.3gr. A#7, CCI 300 primer, Midway case, estimated 1100FPS). I've been house bound with medical issues for a few months now, but when I can get out again, I'll chrono these loads and post results.

Thanks for sharing Johnny.

Dillion Precision has Starline brass ($98 for 500).

All I need now is powder which I'll make some gun shows (overpriced I'm sure) and look.

Going through Austin this Thursday, if someone knows a place.

You can push the 200gr xtp to 1200+ using long shot. Mike from SwampFox. (RIP) was using it to get those velocities. Work your way up slowly to 12.9 grains that's out of a glock with a standard barrel

highlander, when you go to/through Austin, try McBride's: http://www.mcbridesguns.com/

You'll overpay for any and everything, but they may have what you need!

Check out Ten Ring...they are on Jones Road north of FM 1960. They are a true reloading store. You can google them...they are online also.

Gary,

I called 10 ring, Magnum Firearms, Bayou Bend Gunshop, Pig Supply, Gander, Bass Proshop, Carters Country, and many more.

Of course, I went ahead and setup email notifications to be sent for when things come avaiable. Need to go to some gun shows next for powder.

Mikel,

I'll give them a shout!

Received word that 10 Ring had Accurate #9 and CCI 300 primers which I picked up. They still have 3lbs of A#9 left.

Also signed up for their in stock/received email notice so I can stay on top.

Thanks for the All!

Sign in to follow this