MikeI

Shall we try to set up a p'dog safari?

We've all been mumbling and grumbling about the lack of p'dog hunting opportunities. Would any of you be interested in getting really wild and crazy and seeing if we could put together a "group grope" and go to some weird place like the Dakotas? I would be glad to take the lead in finding us a place, outside of Texas (but NOT Colorado), to hunt the wiley p'dogs. I can guarantee you it will be a long drive for us Texans, and the weather conditions, given what we've seen so far this year, could be pretty challenging. But if any of you all would be interested in a strictly non-TPP-sponsored caravan to the north lands to shoot pasture poodles, let me know and I'll work on it. It will be a deal where you pay any money required directly to the guide/lodge/ranch we may hunt; I'll just supply the names and available dates, but will not be involved in the money exchange. And, to protect the Posse, we can take all communications for this possible venture off of the Forum and handle it through email exchanges between each other.

I may not be able to put anything together for this spring, but if not, possibly early fall. Lemme know your thoughts!

I'd love to do that but unfortunately for me I could only go for 4 days. Thats not nearly enough time to drive to that far and still have time to shoot p-dogs.

You're right, Jeff. We'd have to plan on at least 4 days of quality windshield time: two up and two back. Might be able to shave it down by teaming up and driving non-stop, on a rotational basis, but that would be pretty miserable.

You can make it to most any p-dog grounds in about 20 hours of quality driving time no problem. Less time for the southern parts of the State

I might be game, have to see if Dad would want to go. Always have had a dream of he and I hunting foreign lands, and neither of us has ever really been P-dog hunting. I popped a few while in Lubbock years back, but we just happened on a town at a buddies ranch....shot them with the ole .22 Mag out to around 150 yards. Was dang sure fun!

Cal

I will drop what I,m doing to go P Dog shootin!

Let me know,

Coyote Assasin

Thus far, gang, the response has been, shall we say, luke warm! It's understandable, though. Going on a p'dog safari into which you invest about 4 days of travel, is not that attractive. Particularly not to folks that actually have to work for a living! Now, if we were going after trophy bears, cougars or elk, that would be different. But to take some valuable vacation time go to North Dakota to whack p'dogs is just a little bit different.

Its been 4 years since I have been on a shoot. I would be interested If you are still trying to put this together!

elkhunter, I'm still game to put it together, but it appears, because of the distances involved and the time commitments required, that it would be a monumental task to coordinate all the schedules. I talked to a few folks who do the guiding on these trips, and they want and need solid dates, and the numbers of participants (they want at least 6-8 shooters) willing to make a non-refundable down payment to them months in advance! As I mentioned in a previous post, the reception to the idea has been rather luke warm; when it comes down to writing a check to an outfitter in North Dakota for a June 2015 p'dog hunt, I don't see much chance of it happening. I'm still willing to try to put such a hunt together, but I would need a lot more excitement and commitment from a lot more folks to make it a reality. It may be a better idea for me to try to pull some information together about outfitters with good reputations and share that list with the Posse members so they can put their own prairie dog safari together with their family and friends.

Mike is there any such opportunities closer, as in Texas or Okie land. I would be all in for something around,closer in. Tons of them in Okie land near our land except they are in the game preserve :angry::angry:

texan4ut, I went on a guided p'dog hunt up in the Texas Panhandle a couple of years ago. The outfitter claimed to have access to 4 large ranches with "large prairie dog populations." Four of us got together and signed up for a hunt. It was a disaster! The outfitter really did have access to some large ranches; and there did appear to be large prairie dog towns. The problem was that the p'dogs had been hunted so hard that they had become "vehicle savvy." As soon as our trucks pulled up, the dogs were GONE. We'd sit for a couple of hours, and occasionally have a shot at one at under 400 yards. As I recall, we got confirmed kills on 11 'dogs in 2 days with 4 hunters! That expensive little venture kinda soured me on Texas p'dog hunts with outfitters I don't know. And, right now, I don't know of any of them who have shootable populations.

11 in 2 days with 4 hunters wouldn't be worth the effort or expense for sure.

I'd be interested.

Email as I'm not often on the board.

randy@martinigallery.com

Bwana I would be intrested and probably a friend would be intrested as well.

thanks,

oldhoward