Sign in to follow this  
TheOldPro

Best Bore Cleaning Technique, Solvent for Semi-Auto Pistol?

Since I'm shooting my 9mm semi-auto pistol more nowadays, the thought occurred to me that I had better start thinking about how to clean it, and how often. I know there are lots of products and methods out there, but I want to know yours, the Posse family methods. Keep in mind that I don't shoot as much as some of you do....if I shoot 20 rounds a week, that's a lot right now. It may be more when my wife starts to shoot, if I can get her to.

Some questions: I use Wipe-Out for my rifles....is it also good enough for the pistol by itself, or do I need more? I've read that Break-Free is good....is it? I've never tried it. Will either of them get rid of all that needs to be gotten rid of, such as copper deposits (I don't shoot plain lead bullets). Should you use a bore brush too? Some say that a Bore-Snake is all you need....I don't know. How often do you clean the bore.....after every shoot, or after so many rounds?

As you can see, I'm open to anyone's formula that works. If you don't mind, let me know what works for you.

OP

When it comes to pistols I clean them after they get a good beating. If I take them hunting or if it gets nasty when I am at the range they get cleaned. My father is LEO and he cleans his once a year if that. They definitely dont take much to clean with the fast burn powders and short barrels.

I use Hoppes #9 for everything firearm related, followed with a few drops of oil on the slide.

On a completely storage aspect I like to run over the gun with a silicone impregnated cloth just before it gets put away.

Just my routine...

I use Hoppes #9 for everything firearm related, followed with a few drops of oil on the slide.

The only knock I've heard on Hoppe's #9 is how long it takes; otherwise, it's pretty hard to beat, and is a proven quantity.

Ive been using Hoppes for over 60 years its never let me down. And besides I like the smell.

Ive been using Hoppes for over 60 years its never let me down. And besides I like the smell.

Two votes for Hoppes. How long do you let it sit before running the patches through?

I always have Hoppes # 9 on hand! The smell takes me back dove hunting! For tough lead and copper JB is hard to beat.

I have several semi-autos and this is my approach to keeping them running trouble free. After a shooting session I lock the slide open and ck. the bbl., breach face, mag. well, etc. for crud and debris. If everything looks fairly clean, back in the safe she goes. If things are starting to look cruddy, it's time to clean.

1- Field strip

2- Run a dry bronze brush through the bore a few times to loosen up the crud

3- Run a patch with Hoppes #9 back and forth through the bore a few times followed by 2 or 3 dry patches

4- If bbl. is not clean, repeat 2 and 3

5- When bbl. is clean, run an oiled patch and a dry patch through it

6- I clean the receiver and slide with Q-tips and a rag. My cleaner of choice - Hoppes #9

7- Lightly lube at contact/wear points and reassemble. Cycle some dummy rounds/A-Zooms and dry fire to ck. for function

8- Wipe down with silicone cloth, give it a little kiss, and back in the safe she goes

My go to cleaner is Hoppes #9, but I have other stuff for stubborn copper and lead. My go to lube was Break Free CLP, but I have recently begun trying some others.

I have several semi-autos and this is my approach to keeping them running trouble free.

Thanks, JE. Sounds like the type of system I can live with. About the only thing I actually need to buy, according to it, is a bronze bore brush in 9mm size....I already have the Hoppes, and some Wipeout for good measure.

OP

i have used this for about ten years on my handguns.

http://www.mpro7.com

I was at Wal-mart earlier today, and I think they actually had some of the mpro-7, except I didn't pay it much attention at the time... I just remember glancing at it. I'll look better next timel

OP

Sign in to follow this