Coyote EMT

ATN X-Sight Night Vision Rifle Scope

Mike....follow-up question to my post while you were posting....what power illuminator comes with it, compared to the T20 that Double Naught Spy referenced?

OP

OP, an IR-illuminator is a device that emits infrared light-low frequency electromagnetic radiation which happens to be outside the visible spectrum. So, no, it wouldn't help you at night with a "normal" telescopic sight. Now, on your second question, that's one I haven't gotten around to answering yet, but from the videos I've seen, much farther out than 135-150 yards is about it with the package illuminator. Now with the more powerful ones I've seen good illumination out to around 300 yards, at least according to the narrator on the video clips. Lastly, your spell checker needs to go back to school or get its vocabulary/dictionary pumped up a bit. But I don't plan on any testing for that.

And, BTW, I will be bringing the new scope with me to the Rendezvous for all to see, fondle, use and ask questions about, assuming that I will be able to attend it this year.

Here's the first picture I've taken with the new scope. The old house is 131 yards away from the scope; the scope is set on its lowest setting of 5x. Not exactly National Geographic quality, but you could watch a hog or yodel dog go down pretty clearly.

post-7794-0-62406700-1420661663_thumb.jpg

OP, if you keep asking me questions, I'll eventually be able to answer one for you. But on the side-by-side comparison on the ATN's standard illuminator and Double Naught's T20, I can't give you anything definitive. I'm just learning all this stuff and old dogs learn really, really slowly. I THINK that the difference has got to be in wattage of the two devices. They all transmit light at about 850nm, which is right below the threshold of visibility; so if they're all pumping out the same light, the difference between one that can light 'em up at 150 yards compared to one that can light 'em up at 250 yards must be what tosses the light out the end of the illuminator. So I'd guess it's like a light bulb wattage rating, but without more research, I don't want you going out and telling your grand kids that you got a night vision lesson from old MikeI! If they're old enough to be in at least the 3rd grade, they probably know the answer!! Sorry I couldn't help.

Here's the first picture I've taken with the new scope. The old house is 131 yards away from the scope; the scope is set on its lowest setting of 5x. Not exactly National Geographic quality, but you could watch a hog or yodel dog go down pretty clearly.

Especially if the hog or coyote was stupid enough to be sitting on the roof. That is definitely a good picture. Take some night pictures and post them, Mike. This is getting interesting. (As for the spell-check, mine must use Merriam-Webster as its source....it has no listing for "illuminator" except in explanation way down the list for "illuminate". Dictionary.com does list it as a word. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming).

So far it looks like you are getting your money's worth. And by the way, 150 yards of illumination would be plenty for me, anyhow....past that things get iffy for me in the daylight. And don't worry about not knowing the make-up of the different illuminators.....just the other day I ran across something that I didn't know, so it happens to the best of us.

OP

There will be a test on this section tomorrow morning at 8:30:

Got it, Mike. No problem. Piece of cake. Now, one more time, what does IR stand for?

OP

I'd like to see how it works with the IR filter that All Predator Calls sells for the Light Force spot lights.

Jeff, there are quite a few different "test cases" I hope to able to run with the X scope. I know of no reason that those filters would not work just fine. The X scope just needs a boost to its night time vision capabilities, and throwing a filtered IR light out there should help just as much as a dedicated IR illuminator. I did notice that those filters produce light waves in the 860-940nm spectrum, which exceeds the more normal, 850nm standard, so the light they generate may be detectable by the target animal. But, the only limiting factors for my testing are the weather, the time to run the testing, and the money to buy all the accessories I'd like to try! (Like another $250 for a Light Force light and IR filter!) I had planned on going out today and at least giving the scope a quick bit of exercise at the range, but the weather outlook doesn't make it sound like a very attractive day to be out sitting in the elements trying to figure stuff out. And then, Friday and Saturday look to be total "weather outs," complete with rain and freezing rain possibilities. I'm pretty anxious to take this toy through some paces, but tend to be a "bluebird weather" kind of tester!

Having done some more research, I think that if I decide to get another IR Illuminator, I'll save my shekels and buy this one:

http://www.ultimatenightvision.com/20-IR-Infrared-LED-Illuminator-Flashlight-p/unv-20ir.htm

Be sure to scroll all the way to the bottom and look at the images of the hog decoy at different ranges.

But, the only limiting factors for my testing are the weather, the time to run the testing, and the money to buy all the accessories I'd like to try!

We do not accept weak excuses like this on the Posse. This is the perfect opportunity for you to run a "really foul weather" test on the scope, and you should not pass it up, as it may be another year before this dismal of a weather system comes around again, so you need to get out there and take advantage of it. It would be acceptable to us if you wait until after your hands thawed before attempting to write the results, but don't wait too long. We're tolerant here on the Posse, but we can only put up with so much delay.

OP

I used the time I saved by not sitting out at the shooting bench freezing my ears off by trying to figure out how to get the GPS and WiFi features working, and, with only a couple of small brain hernias, I got it all up and running. I downloaded the ATN Obsidian app from the Apple iTunes store, wandered around inside the scope menus for a while, and finally got everything properly set up. Now, with the rifle/scope sitting on a rest, and WiFi connection made, I can look at the iPhone and see the display that the shooter is seeing through the scope. And then I can get my latitude/longitude and mark it down in case I ever want to return to that exact spot to hunt/shoot again, or start a search for a downed animal from the exact spot at which I took the shot.

As you may be able to tell, I'm absolutely fascinated with the amount of function that is packed into this scope at the price point they're offering them! I haven't yet tried to use: the compass, the wind velocity indicator, or the altimeter! Realistically, from a purely practical standpoint, I'll probably never use any of it but the day/night scope, the camera, and the video; but what a job ATN has done. :wub: :wub: :wub: Still need to field test it, since almost everything I've played around with was with the scope indoors, relatively warm, and no recoil to shake up its innards. So far, so good; but I didn't buy the scope to use as a computer in my house or barn! Maybe I can take it outside next week and start giving it a real test in a real hunting environment. . .

It will be interesting to see if everything holds up after repeated firings. If it does, and it also functions as a quality scope visually, it no doubt is worth the money. Looks like your gamble is paying off.

OP

OP, I may just be real lucky to have gotten a great unit off the assembly line! Someone just sent me an email and asked if I thought it was time to order one of these scope, based on the way I was raving about them. My answer was and is an unequivocal "NO!" Not yet. There's enough negative chatter out there on the different forums to make me believe that there are still some issues that ATN needs to resolve before I could suggest to a fellow Posse member to plunk down some hard cash for one of them. After I get some more real mileage on mine, and the chatter dies down, and the latest firmware release is proven to fix some outstanding problems, that's when or if I'll tell folks I think it's time to place an order for one.

To give everyone an idea of why I'm hesitant to suggest that anyone purchase one of these nifty scopes right now:

An open letter from ATN Corp CEO, Marc Vayn:

"We at ATN appreciate all the early adopters of our new X-Sight. The X-Sight is really like nothing we have ever developed! The sophistication of the Obsidian Core has offered us a world of possibilities never before witnessed in our industry. It has also posed a series of challenges that we are working quickly to overcome.

One of these has been Reticle shifting out of view at high levels of zoom. First let me assure you this is NOT a hardware issue and will be resolved within the shortest time possible in the form of an updated firmware.

Part of the issue has arisen due to the fact that our engineers removed the original limitation of 4X digital (example 5-18). Instead the 5-18 is now 5-50. Our engineers felt that even at 50X, the resolution of the image was still good enough to provide additional detection. Unfortunately in the first release of our Reticle Zeroing we shifted the reticle by moving it on the screen reticle and thereby it would always be off center. This problem was then exacerbated by high zoom - in essence shifting the reticle up 10X the original Zeroing In. On weapons with more than just a minor shift from dead center this created a problem of having the reticle fly off the screen when zooming in.

Currently our engineers are working on a major update that will no longer shift the reticle but the entire screen behind the reticle - when finished no amount of zoom will move your reticle off center. The algorithms for this work have already been complete and only the testing and bug clean up remains. As an added bonus we will also be including a number of our early Smart Shooting Solutions into this version (Hint: think intelligent bullet drop compensation and much, much more.)

Again, I would like to apologize from me and our development team for shipping the X-Sight with these types of issues. We hope that our fixes and new features that are to be released throughout the year will make up for some initial difficulties.

Sincerely,
Marc Vayn
CEO, ATN Corp."

BTW, it just so happens that my scope does not have the reticle issue cited. I can run it from 5X up to 18x (or 50X!) and the reticle stays dead center.