Coyote EMT

ATN X-Sight Night Vision Rifle Scope

Latest update: the US Post Office tracking application says that the package containing my 5-18 ATN Sight will (finally!) arrive here in Mason on Monday, Jan. 5. I'll be sharing first impressions with all of you as soon as I can wrap my hands and head around this new sight!

BTW, for any of you thinking about buying one of these bad boys, I'd suggest that you hold off until I get mine sorted out and can give you my honest opinion on whether or not it's worth your hard-earned dollars. I'll be telling you the whole story: the good, the bad and the ugly; so that you can make an informed decision. I may also be able to offer you a fairly good Posse discount on them (my cost plus shipping), depending upon my success in working out a deal with one of my suppliers. So that you don't have to go through what I've been through, I will not offer them up for sale until I have assurances that my supplier has the units in stock, at their warehouse, ready to ship out upon receipt of my money! We're talking a one week to ten day turnaround, from the time I get your money until the sight you ordered is in house here in Mason.

Well, gang, I actually have the ATN X-Sight in hand! I've got it all set up and have downloaded the most current firmware for it. Spent some quality time scoping out the neighborhood in the daylight, and I like what I saw. Just came in from trying it out in the night time, using the IR Illuminator that comes with it, and was able to track a few feral cats at about 50 yards. Overall first impressions: it's very heavy; the "instruction manual" is terrible; it works well in both day and night "city" environments with a pretty good moon. So all I've done, so far, is use it like a night vision goggle and it has met my expectations, function-wise. I'll be mounting it on my X39 and taking it afield at the first opportunity. Will give reports as I find out how it does in the real world rather than just from off my front porch. . .

Drive outside of town and look out into a dark field. With the moon as big as it is tonight you won't have much better natural lighting conditions.

Mikel, you might want to visually verify that your mount is straight on your scope. There have been reports of incorrectly tapped scopes - resulting in mounts being off, making zeroing difficult or impossible. Some (most?) scopes are perfectly fine.

I did an eyeball check of the mount/scope, and it appears to be OK. Once I mount it on a firearm and can verify it I'll let everyone know.

I worked with the new scope some more today and last night. I got it mounted on my X39 AR and did some checking to make sure that the reticle stayed centered throughout the zoom range. It stayed spot on, so I was pleased to see that ATN had fixed the "wandering crosshair" issue. Scoped out some more feral cats and a skunk that came to call, and I am beginning to think this scope was worth all the waiting time and anxiety associated with its introduction. We have a small weather window coming up tomorrow, and I intend to take the rig out to the range and do some more testing with it. I've attached a close-up of the scope and the detachable IR illuminator mounted and ready to rock and roll.

This URL will take you to the ATN site and give you a look at the features provided. The only difference between my new scope and their advertising model is the change in the control buttons. Mine has black buttons with white lettering, while their picture shows the device with red buttons.

http://www.atncorp.com/x-sight-night-vision-rifle-scope-5-18x

post-7794-0-47147700-1420638712.jpg

With all the whistles and bells on that scope, I'm afraid the deer/hog/coyote will die from old age before I can get it ready to take a shot. And it would be embarrassing to have to get my 11 year-old grandson to show me how to work it. I don't think I'm behind times....I'm under the times with no way to dig out.

OP

I know what you mean, OP. This scope has so much function that I think it could drive the truck out to the hunting site, walk to the blind, and then set itself up to hunt. I hope it remembers to tell me when I can shoot!.

And for those of you who've been following this saga, I did another little test on it this morning. I took it from the warm house out to the cold barn, let it sit for a few minutes and checked for lens fogging or any trouble with the function of the buttons. No fogging; no button trouble. Then I left it for 45 minutes, came back out, and did the same tests; it worked fine.

MIke, based on the night vision experiment you've done so far, how far out do you think you will be able to see on let's say a cloudy night out in the field? Is that thing capable of "seeing" in the dark without external artificial light? I couldn't really tell exactly what it's capabilities were by going to their website.

OP

Mike,

I and OP share the same concern, I know in our gun shop most of the scope attached units limit out at 10x power or so. Hoping this unit is better, let us know what you find on dark night conditions at a high magnification.

Thanks,

Tyco

I can tell you that the X-sight is very limited in its capabilities to see without external illumination on a dark night. It is no Gen III replacement, not that Gen III can see very well without external illumination on a cloudy night either, LOL. Of the few vids you will find of X-sights being used at night, all will be using external illuminators and many will be using T20 pattern IR illuminators that are more powerful than the one that comes with the X-sight.

Right now, nobody is producing any digital NV that has that sort of capability in a commercial weapon sight, though the technology is there.

.... many will be using T20 pattern IR illuminators that are more powerful than the one that comes with the X-sight.

Okay.....I'm going to show my ignorance of things again. Will a T20 IR illuminator help a normal scope at night? But more importantly, with the X-sight, how far out should you be able to pick out a coyote at night using that illuminator? And finally, why does my spell-check say I've spelled "illuminator" wrong?

OP

OP/Tyco, it's what Double Naught says. Even with the extremely limited amount of testing I've been able to do, this Sight cannot see much by itself at night. Now, when I switch on the IR Illuminator, things change dramatically. I can see a lasered 150 yards down our ally way to a light pole with the illuminator on. Without its help I can't see much past 30-40 yards (and that's with the nice moon we've had the last few evenings). I still think it's going to be a winner, even if I have to use additional illumination for the night work I do around here. Compared to the Gen II's and III's, that will cost you thousands of dollars more, it's no contest. But I don't think that's what ATN had in mind. I will get out to some wide-open, plowed fields and try to get a more definitive idea on the effective range with and without the illuminator that came with it, and then I'll go out once more if I can get my hands on one of the more powerful illuminators and try to tell you how much difference they make. One interesting thing about the little illuminator that was part of the Scope package is that I can "focus" its beam, and I'm thinking that that feature could be helpful. If you had a group of varmints out in a field, you could find and then light up certain individuals within the group that are of more interest to you. Of course, since I have ZERO field experience with the scope so far, you must take every observation I make with a pillar of salt. But I'm having fun learning a whole new (to me) scope technology!