Coyote EMT

ATN X-Sight Night Vision Rifle Scope

I wonder if anyone out there knows the difference between this one and some of the others that are 1200-2000. I just don't know about the difference. There are several listed on SWFA and I really like doing business with them. I have completed four purchases from them and all have been good transactions.

Keep in touch

Larry

I just got a call from my supplier (he actually called me!) and he reported that they had gotten word from ATN that they (the supplier) would begin getting the new sights around 11/25. Now, that doesn't mean much of anything, given the history, but it could mean that the ATN glacier is actually beginning to move. If the "trickle down" begins on 11/25, there's no telling when those of us who've had orders in for months (mine was placed in February) will get one of the sights in hand. It may very well be that the Big Box Stores will get all their orders filled first, and us little guys will be very low on the priority totem pole. My supplier told me that they intend to handle them on a order sequence basis, regardless of the size of the order. (Everyone who believes that I will get mine before OpticsPlanet and BassPro Shops get theirs, please call your doctors and get your meds adjusted.)

I'll continue to give you updates as I get them.

The X-sight isn't any generation. It is digital and so the generation labels do not apply. What is it comparable to? ATN has been slow to release video of the scope at night. Of the folks that I know that have used it, it is somwhere between a Gen 1+ and Gen II+. If you don't have a bright moon, you will NEED an illuminator and the illuminator that comes with it isn't sufficient to utilize the scope's full capability. A T20 pattern IR light such as the UNV20IR from Ultimate Night Vision is a good external light to use with the X-sight.

What does that mean? The X-sight does and will suffer from reflected light issues if used at night with an illuminator. If you are up in a stand with a clear field of view, this sight should be great. If you are down in tall grass or stalking through the woods where you have a lot of stuff between you and your target, you may be hard pressed to see your target very well. This is the same problem for all night vision requiring an external illuminator that you mount on the rifle or carry with you.

If you are not familiar with the problem, imagine looking for your pet at night that has hidden in the bushes. You shine your light at the bushes and do you see the bushes or do you see your pet inside them? You primarily see the bushes.

For daytime work, the X-sight seems to have beautful optics.

For the price, this sounds like a great bargain and may really be one. However, the units are about 7 or 8 months late on the delivery, come with glitches (as per ATN rep Sachal reporting on Texas Hunting Forum and AR15.com) that are supposed to be worked out with firmware upgrades that are supposed to come in the future.

A problem noted by one user is that these units eat batteries. Simply put, the more you try to do with it, the more power it consumes. So if you are Wifi, GPS, zooming, and recording, the battery life is going to be brief. I believe somewhere along the development lines, it was estimated that the unit had about a 2 hour run time with moderate battery drain, so you are looking at an hour (maybe) if you are doing a lot with multiple feature.

If you order now, it might not be until months from now that you get yours. They are still filling pre-orders and doing so at various speeds. Depending on where it is posted, they have either filled 2000+ orders (as per Sachal) or just over 1000 (ATN's FB page),

Another issue noted is that the magification is dubious. The tester that I know noted that the 5x scope, unzoomed, was more comparable to about 6.5-7.5x on other daylight scopes. So there is more optical zoom there than is reported. For those of you who are familiar with this sort of issue, it is common in the scope market for the scope to be somewhere around the magnification claimed, but not actually the magnification claimed. I offer this up because if the 5x is really more like a 7x and you are planning on using the scope for shorter distances, it might be more prudent to get the 3x version lest you end up with too much magnification for close range. Better yet, see if you can try one before you order.

What Mikel said about order sequences appears to be true. It isn't FIFO as claimed, not from ATN anyway. Dealers do appear to be getting units before individuals and you might be better off going through a dealer than through ATN to get a scope.

I am not a fan of ATN, but if this scope works as claimed and the glitches worked out, it may be a proverbial game changer to get new people into night hunting with a dedicated scope that should work beautifully in daylight and be nicely functional at night. If you have not ordered a scope yet and are not in a hurry, a potential buyer might be better off waiting until the glitches are worked out.

Good write-up, Double Naught! Since I have yet to even hold one of these new scopes in my grubby hands, much less actually try to use some of its many advertised functions, I remain curious, frustrated, and just a bit skeptical. I am an FFL dealer, but not a ATN stocking dealer, and I believe that to be worth just a bit less than the effort it takes to write these words. I feel certain that I am WAY down on the totem pole when it comes to delivery of the units I still think it sounds like a very interesting optic, even if it doesn't quite live up the marketing hype that has preceded the delivery of working units. And, having functioned as a "Field QC Rep" for quite a few products in the past, the role will not be one I'm unfamiliar with.

Pretty good run down on the X-sight Double Naught Spy. I'm patiently waiting for a 3-12 version. I've got a Armasight Nemesis 6X QS. They call it a Gen2+ night vision scope. While it works pretty good. I've shot pigs at better than 300 yards with. Most of our pig hunting takes place at much closer ranges. The 6X limits my field of view too much for my liking. I believe the 3-12 Version of the X-sight will probably work best for me.

I just picked up this little piece of information from another forum; it's the "task list" for the ATN manufacturing team:

1. Flickering in night vision mode
2. While zooming my crosshairs move completely off the screen
3. when zooming out, back to 5x mag the crosshairs get stuck
4. Some times when powering off it gets stuck on a blue screen and you have to remove the batteries
5. In the night vision mode, when you take a picture, it makes the image a whole lot brighter
6. Crosshairs are still not on the recordings
7. If one holds the power button too long it restarts the scope
8. add quick cross hair presets in the android iOS app
9. When low battery indicator comes on during recording, you cannot stop recording video and lose your video due to having to remove batteries.

And this announcement:

Please be advised.

If you have received an ATN X sight 3-12x and are not satisfied with the image quality, please contact your reseller and return your scope. We will offer you a FREE upgrade to ATN X-Sight 5-18x. This upgrade is only available to customers who already have their 3-12x scope.

Customers who have open orders for the 3-12x X sight but have not yet received it, we are stopping the shipment of all 3-12x and relaunching the scope with manual focus. This would delay the shipment by another 30 days or so but it is the right thing to do.

Not very encouraging news, unfortunately!

The saga continues:

Got a call from my supplier, who has my original order (Feb, 2014) still in the "active" file. They just got in a shipment of the 5-18X sights, and wanted to know if I wanted to keep waiting for the 3-12X or "upgrade" to a 5-18X. I thought about for a day or so; read everything I could find on the internet; finally decided to pull the trigger on the larger scope. I also told the supplier that if they started playing games with delivery dates for this new purchase I would send Mrs. Innis to sit outside their company's front door and nag every single employee who came out until they delivered! That threat put a bit of a fright into them, so maybe, just maybe, 2015 may be the "Year of the ATN X Sight!" There are still issues with it, but all the reports I've read indicate that they are software issues and that fixes for all of the problems have been developed and are being tested. Since the owners of the scopes can download fixes, they'll be made available as they are released. It's a bit of a risk, I know, but I'd like to get my hands on one of these scopes because they are really cutting edge technology. Of course, as we used to say in IBM: "I'll be on the leading, bleeding edge of technology." Once again, I'll bring the scope to the Rondi next year IF: I can resolve a schedule conflict with the dates; AND I actually take delivery of the device!! I'll keep y'all updated. And if I have to deploy the Mrs. to the supplier, I'll be sure to get some action pictures for you. <_<

I think this could be a great sight IF they work out the glitches. Right now, ATN it beta-testing on its customer base and is seemingly failing to provide adequate technical assistance. Apparently, the flickering in NV mode has stopped as of firmware update 174. Purportedly, update 190 is due out soon to turn on some features not currently working (I don't know where the missing intermediate 16 updates are).

I cancelled my order for the X-sight after months of delays and less than helpful insights from ATN about the product's release. I would suggest delaying a purchase of the product until the bugs are worked out. If you get an x-sight now, you will be doing a lot of the field testing for ATN, whether you like it or not. Maybe you do. Maybe you are into troubleshooting products that are supposed to work already. If so, then this is the scope for you.

DoubleNaught, I hear you loud and clear! I've beta tested a lot of products in my life, and it has rarely been a good experience. It's maddening, frustrating, and most unrewarding. Having said that (and having experienced it, first hand) I made an informed, if not necessarily good, decision to go ahead and get one of the new sights in my hands, ASAP. I may be whining to all of you all for the next several months as ATN and I, and all the other customers, sort through the various problems, but I'm an old, retired fart, fascinated by technology, and I have the time and the interest to devote to a new product release that, if it does even half of what ATN says it can do, promises to be a real game changer in the field of firearm optics.

Film at 11:00!

I think, Mikel, you will find that the X-Sight does about half that is claimed. Daylight is great. Night is problematic. It really helps if you use a better supplemental illuminator than the one ATN provides. Apparently even with firmware update 174, some folks are still experiencing flickering issues at night. Folks who have had video recording issues have found them resolved by using only the fastest SD cards (which is a good idea when recording video to SD anyway), but apparently this little tidbit wasn't spelled out as folks are getting manuals.

Over on Texas Hunting Forum, there are multiple X-Sight threads where people are trying to help one another with issues, of of which even is called 'X-sight tech support'

So there will be some rough spots initially, apparently a whole bunch of them.

If you aren't in a hurry to use at night, you may be hugely impressed with the daytime capabilities.

DoubleNaught, one of the few good things about being old as dirt is that I don't get in too much of a hurry about anything! Sure, if Happy Hour is approaching and I'm not at home ready to begin the daily ritual, I may panic a little bit. But I just don't tend to get into a lather about much any more. I joined the THF and have been through all the postings, good and bad, on all the threads. Poor old "Sachel" from ATN, continues to get his lunch eaten on a regular basis. Deservedly so, since, right or wrong, he IS the face of ATN to all these riled up customers, therefore he gets to catch all the spears. It's kinda sad to see that he has obviously been misinformed by his management team about the resolution of many of these issue, the timing of the "fixes," and, up to and including the ever-sliding delivery dates. Talk about being "thrown under the bus!" So, I will persevere and make every attempt to keep the Posse folk as well informed about the new sight as I possibly can and hope that they benefit from my experience. Having said that, I certainly didn't go ahead and buy one to make myself a sacrificial lamb on the altar of technology; I bought one because I want one!! (Or at least I want the advertised features!!) And, right now, I think I have the patience to work through the issues as ATN resolves them and makes them available.