GonHuntin

cell phone help??

Getting ready to replace my old phone……bought it because, at the time, it had the best antenna……just wondering which current phone has the best reception in areas with marginal service?? Not looking for recommendations on which carrier to choose,,,,,,,US Cellular is the only carrier with decent service where I need it…….I'm looking for specific phone recommendations.

Did some online searching…..most reviews are focused on everything but how well the phone actually works for making and receiving calls!!

I would think the usual suspects, IPhone, Galaxy S, Motorola Droid, they have a lot of features that require fast data transfer, so i would think they would have good reception. I have a Galaxy S4 and di have a IPhone before that. I never really had a reception problem with the phone. I had more of a problem with AT&T wireless due to their upgrading towers. I did like my IPhone better than the S4 although the S4 does have a bigger screen which is nice.

It's a crap shoot at best. I've seen two iPhones six inches apart, one with 5 bars and the other with 2. I can imagine the other manufactures have the same problem. How wel that relates to making a call I can't tell you.

Go with your gut, the features you like and don't look back.

I´m not to fond of smart phones, probably because I´m too clumsy for them and even managed to break 2 Nokia outdoor mobiles :unsure:

I have a Sonim, don´t know which model and have it for one and a half years now - It works in all weather conditions, survives falling from tree stands, etc. - and You can probably use it for self defense: If a big boar comes after You and You are out of ammo, just throw it at the head of the hog! And after the kill, You can still use the phone to call a friend to help carry the hog to the car :)

The reception with my mobile is good, better than most others I know or had - besides its sturdiness, it also has a very long battery life, which is also an important feature for me.

So if You just need a phone for making and receiving calls, maybe some SMSing, the Sonim might be Your choice.

I carry a Blackberry now due to work, but the best I've seen for tough and decent reception is the Samsung Rugby. Samsung makes a few varieties of what we call "Rig Phones," and I've heard nothing but good out of them. Mine got wet many times on fires, got dropped, kicked around, and still was about to place a call 30 miles from nowhere while on the Possum Kingdom fire a few years back..........when we could not even get our 45 and 100 watt radios to push out to hit our command wagon! Comes with a handy LED light and water proof housing built into the phone, supposed to be good to 3 feet of water for about 15 min I think.

Cal

Guess I should add…….this has to be a CDMA compatible phone to work on US Cellular……..and I have to use USC because it is the ONLY carrier that works reliably where I use the phone most.

It's funny…….my wife's Samsung Galaxy SIII is about a year old……..my old Motorola flip phone gets MUCH better reception than her smartphone, both on the same network, sitting side by side……..

I saw where flip phones are making a come back somewhat as data plans for smart phones continue to go up. LG exalt was one of the top flip phones mentioned.

I had pretty bad experience with some LG devices (not just cell phones) - they usually broke just after the guarantee expired!

My Lady and me both decided some years ago: no more LG China junk!

I don't know if the old bag phones will work with modern cell towers nowadays, but I remember hunting on a ranch way down in S, Texas several years back where one of the owners would not give up his bag phone. His argument was that the phone would work anywhere in S. Texas because it had so much more wattage than newer phones and he could always make a call no matter where he was. I believe his theory was that as cell towers became more prevalent and closer together, the power requirements for cell phones dropped and allowed mfg's to user smaller cheaper components and extend battery life. That was fine around big cities and highways but not so good out in the brush country. Again, don't know if those will work anymore or if lugging around 4 lbs of bag, battery & phone even make sense. Just throwing out a possible option.

I don't know about the CDMA part of it, but I like my Samsung Convoy (original, not 2 or 3). It's the poster child of "dumb phones"....all it does about is make and receive calls reliably. Picture-taking quality is poor at best with no flash, and I've disabled texting on it, and never tried to connect to the internet, although I guess you could in an emergency. I can go two or three weeks between charging if need be. My wife lost our original one before Christmas, and I could have gotten the upgrade from Verizon for free, but I didn't like the reviews on it. I bought an original one off of eBay in "mint" condition for about $40.00, and will again if this one goes awol. It's the sturdiest flip-phone I have ever seen, and if you don't need to use your phone to check the stock market or fry eggs, it would be a good one to try, assuming the CDMA part fits.

OP