skosler

Green or red light ?

Shooter I will agree that is what the "experts" tell us. Based on your experience have you used a green light and has it spooked the animals?

I have and personally don't care for the green light. While you can see further with it, to me it also seems to illuminate the dust particles in the air and reflect back some of the light.

I can't say it has spooked any but i don't think as many came to the all either.

We do all our spotlighting with standard white light halogen spotlights with 240mm (About 9-10 inch) reflectors. They are called lightforce 240 blitz. Yes often we do see a fox, then sometimes never see it again. But generally we are driving around so that can spook them as well. And we can spot one, pull up and turn the vehicle off. Call, and have it come in. Mind you we will shoot up to probably 250m. Im going to do a lot more of this night hunting you guys do, calling them in and not having to make so much noise.

Some people actively walk around at night with LED torches on their rifles as well. They seem to do well by picking up a set of eyes, then calling or sneaking downwind of them and shooting then. I do a bit of that as well with my 17HMR.

A couple of years ago, we decided to switch from red to green with our scope mounted Lightforce 170's. Like others have said you can see better with the green lens and we were able to pick up eyes further out, but noticed coyotes had a tendacy to hold up 300 - 350 yds out. Never did have anything spook and run off. We switched back to the red lens and our shots were 100 yds or less. I have recently purchased a Sniper Hog Light that comes with a red, green and white LED bulb. I plan on testing each bulb to see if there is any difference in how the animals respond/react.