livetohunt

which of these 2 rifles?

I've been wanting a new 270 and I got a gift card to bass pro for Christmas. Even with the gift card, I'm still working with a budget. These are the two rifles at BP within my budget so which of these two would you go with?

Savage 11/111 Hunter XP or Ruger American Standard

Thanks,

Chase

I just bought a Savage Model 11 Trophy Hunter in .243. I know it's not the exact same model but it's pretty accurate with a smooth bolt. Although it says it doesn't come with a accustock, there is steel pillers that go into an aluminum rail in the stock that the receiver bolts to.

That's like asking if you should vote for Hillary or Obama!! :D

You will have better odds of getting a good shooter out of the box if you buy the Savage……………….

read this thread……..

http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=23454&page=1

The rifle mentioned in the thread came back from Ruger and still wouldn't consistently keep 3 shots in 3" at 100 yards……..I guess, Ruger thinks a 3+" 3 shot group is acceptable accuracy from a new 7mm mag rifle…….if you do some research, I think you will find that inconsistent accuracy isn't unusual in new Ruger rifles……...

It's no secret that I don't like Savage rifles :D………not because they don't shoot………..it's because they are ugly and "clunky"………like riding a pink moped with rainbow stripes……..it will get you where you want to go, but you don't want your friends to see you riding it <_< ……....just my opinion……...

We have sold a lot of Savage rifles over the last few years and only one came back with a problem. It seems that some people still believe that stainless steel rifles don't need cleaning and don't need any oil on them either :wacko: .

Another young gentleman who bought a 22-250 Savage Axis was happy with a 1/2" group at 100 yards with factory ammo. He was overjoyed at a 1/2" group at 150 yards when he started hand-loading. Haven't heard these sort of reports about any of the new Rugers yet.

My only complaint about any American rifle (that makes it down to OZ) with a conventional trigger, rather than the "acutrigger" style is that they are so bloody heavy. This could be so that they will get through our Customs "safety check" and "drop test" but if you folks have to put up with 6lb+ triggers, I don't know how you shoot anything. Or is the first thing you do when you get the new rifle is to give it a trigger job?

I'm sure the heavy trigger is a result of lawsuits. All of my savages with the accutrigger have come set fairly stiff too. Adjusting it is easy and up to the user.

My bride, Texas10X, shoots both a Savage 111 and a Remington 700 CDL in 270 WIN. She loves both and both are sub moa. You will find a picture of her with the Pronghorn she took in 2011 with the Remington but none of the varmints that she has shot with the Savage have complained that it wasn't as pretty as the Remington. They both shoot great for out of the box rifles and I must confess that the Remington did cost a couple of hundred dollars more. Furniture you know.

Savage!!! If there was a better production gun made, I would have bought it. I have 8 or 10 Savages and have never been disappointed.

A Rem 700 ADL for under $400!!!??? Strike me pink! They cost nearly twice that down here!

Mumble, grumble, moan etc!