MikeI

Curious Raccoon Meets Old Mossberg

I was sitting around, drinking a cup of coffee, trying to figure out whether or not I really wanted to get out in the rain this morning and try to put another deer on the ground. In the glow of our security light, I saw something moving around close to our feed storage shed. Grabbed some binoculars, and discovered this big old raccoon trying to figure out how to get into the shed for a little early breakfast. My old bolt action Mossie was leaning against the door, so I stuffed it with some #6 and #4 shot, and began my "stalk." The coon was so interested in getting in the shed that he had lost his normal "situational awareness," and by the time he realized there was danger afoot, I took him down with one dose of each sized shot, at about 25 yards.

post-7794-0-70820100-1383572178.jpg

It's great old gun. My brother and I used to stalk the wiley meadowlarks with it around Houston. (As I recall, in 4 years of pretty serious hunting, we got one (1).) We used to ride our bicycles out to the fields west of where we lived, with the shotgun across our handlebars. Can you even imagine what would happen to 2 teenagers riding around the Houston area with shotguns on their bikes??

Scratch one corn thief!

My first shotgun was a bolt action Mossberg 20 ga. with a 4-shot magazine from a Pawn Shop. $20....of course that is in 1960's dollars. <_<

wow,Mike,good job,and thanks for the memories.

At the ripe old age of 17,The United States Navy decided that they needed to send this Texas country boy to ,of all places,Argentia,New Foundland(pronounced"Newfundlund"). My buddy and I decided to do some hunting,found out they had a bird called a Ptarmigan that was in season.Got our licenses,and went to the armory to check out shotguns.My buddy got a Model 12 thumbbuster,and I got the Mossberg bolt.Had never seen one before,and haven't since,but wasn't a bad shotgun.Still don't know what a Ptarmigan looks like,what looks like solid ground up there is really bushes about 18" tall,and hard as heck to walk through.The birds of course,run along underneath!!!we could hear them,but never flushed one.

Patriot

Sometimes the simple guns are the best. Hard to beat that old bolt action for a "shed" gun. It'll sit their quietly and with little fuss until called upon and perform flawlessly.

Of course, I once saw a youngster embarrass a group of O/U, pump, and semi auto armed dove hunters (myself included) with a beat up bolt action .410.

"Beware the man with one gun....he probably knows how to use it!"

We get the odd B/A "Mossy" come into the shop down here. They don't last long on the shelf either. Some are pretty beat up but sometimes you get one that is in good condition but not all that often.

Now, a B/A Mossy in .410, that would find it's way into my safe real quick!

The old Mossie got more interest than my tale of hunting and shooting the ever-elusive raccoon, so I thought I'd share a bit more information with you about the shotgun.

It's a Model 183 D-A, and that model was built between 1948 and 1950. It was originally sold with two chokes: Modified and Full; and a choke wrench to cinch the chokes down securely. Somehow, over its 65 year life span, I have managed to lose the Modified choke and the wrench. I will blame these losses on the fact that I taught my 4 children and 3 of the 4 grand children (one abstained) basic gun safety and how to hit a hand thrown clay bird with it. They also learned how to hunt dove and quail with it. (I used a 12 gauge with an Open bore when hunting with them, and they still generally outshot me!)

post-7794-0-41015200-1383602590.jpg

post-7794-0-00735900-1383602616.jpg

post-7794-0-41015200-1383602590.jpg

post-7794-0-00735900-1383602616.jpg