Sign in to follow this  
Woodrow

Wkend report: “power nap” screws me!

This weekend went pretty brutal as far as calling goes. Here’s the story, if you have the time to read about some mistakes…(long)

We got to the ranch at about 11:30 on Fri night (my wife and I). It is her granddads place and is a giant playground for me! Anyway, it is 8,100 acres SW of San Antonio in western Frio county. I am a deer hunter at heart, so most of my energy goes towards that when down there in winter. It gets called very little. My plan was to have some quick fun w/ the .17hmr that night, scatter some jack rabbit bodies around the ranch, and try to get a few hours rest before I got up the next morning to fish at 6:30. Then drive to San Antonio for a wedding and after the wedding I was coming back to the ranch to call all night. And finally head back to Houston at 6am to make a Church function. Sounds crazy I know, but I wanted to make the most of it!

So I drove around on Fri night w/ the .17hmr and stacked up some jacks, a raccoon, and a skunk. I was impressed at the raccoon results. I still don’t think it’s a predator gun, but it’s killing ability is impressive to me. I have now killed about 35+ jacks w/ it and haven’t needed a second shot for a hit one yet. They get hit and are dead….it’s great. Same was true w/ the raccoon which is the biggest critter I have killed w/ it. I saw 2 other raccoons, but had mercy on them. One interesting note: I had the .17 sited in w/ Hornady’s and Remington’s both and just had a few shells left from those two boxes. When I finished them off, I switched to a new box of Hornady’s and started missing everything. It couldn’t really tell where I was missing either, so I had to call it quits. I guess it was the whole lot # thing. Anyway, I scattered the dead jacks in some areas I was going to call on Sat night to get that scent around, I don’t know if that is a good practice or not, but I didn’t figure it would hurt. So I hit the hay at about 2am. Woke up early and went fishing, but even as I was catching bass after bass I couldn’t help but thinking I should be calling at first light. About then I see in the distance the ranch manager driving up, he goes behind some brush, I hear him stop his truck, a few seconds later…BOOM, he takes a shot at something. I see him get out and walk over to the brush. At this point I can’t take it anymore so I drive over there to see what he had. It was a coyote. I knew I should have been calling! CRAP! Well we fished for another hour or so and then went back to his house so he could show me the ropes once more w/ reloading. (I just bought all my stuff and am getting ready to enter the world of hand loads!) He shoots a 243AI, a 25-06 he just got and 300 ultra. But over the years he has had all kinds of stuff. He and his guns can shoot, so he is a great asset to my learning. After all that it was time to get prettied up and go to the wedding in San Antonio which started at 2:00. Blah, Blah, Blah on the wedding, etc., but the reception took forever b/c John Kerry was having a rally at the same place, so the river walk was a mad house and everything was delayed. I could feel my time slipping away. I didn’t get to head back to the ranch till 8:45 (leaving my wife behind w/ some friends). I got to the ranch and was beat, I was so tired at one point on the drive back I didn’t know where I was. I hadn’t fallen asleep, but it was plenty weird and a little scary! I had planned on staying out all night calling, but decided I better take a “power nap” since I had to drive back to Houston early on Sunday to get back for the Church function at 11am. It was now 10:00pm and I set my alarm for 1am so I could get up, call through the night and just take off at first light. Well, that “power nap” took me right through my alarm and on until 8 the next morning! I WAS PISSED!!!!!!!!!! I don’t know what happened, but I was pissed! I didn’t get to call and I was going to have to leave! Well I called my wife and since we were going to miss our Church deal, she had no problem w/ me staying at the ranch a few extra hours to at least try some calling. I had to a few things around the headquarters to clean up and then headed to the field, it was already getting warm. Since I was going to be calling at night (so I thought) I didn’t bring any camo, so I figured I better use the deer stands to do my calling from since I had blue jeans and a grey shirt on. I climbed up in a deer blind w/ my Prey Master speaker out on the ground. Used the desperate cottontail sound and all I got was hawk to come in. It wasn’t an ideal set up to me b/c all I could see was down sendaros. I did see 3 piles of scat on my walk to the blind, but it wasn’t real fresh. I also saw a coyote that had been snared along the fence line. I was sweating bullets in the blind too, it was getting warmer! So then I headed to another spot where a tripod was over looking a field and a pond in some more open country. Only when I got there I discovered it had been moved (the tripod, not the field ). Well I noticed some turtles sunning on the bank of the pond, so I decided it was target practice time. Went back to the truck and exchanged the 22-250 for the .17hmr (which I had re-zeroed before hitting the field that morning…so I popped a few turtles. I wanted to see how the .17 would do on their shell, it exploded it pretty good). Then I went on to another spot, climbed up in a tripod and tried the distressed rodent sound. I liked this set up b/c the wind direction would have forced them into the open, but once again, nothing. I had to hit the road to get back to Houston, plus I kinda wanted to save spots for when I could call under better circumstances…though I don’t know when that will be?

To say I was bitter is an understatement! Pretty much, I blew it. I still had some fun w/ the .17, saw some big deer on Fri night driving around, saw some turkey strutting their stuff, got a lot more good info on reloading (along w/ several powder and bullet samples the ranch manager gave me), and caught about 50 bass. But as far as calling goes I am kicking myself for attempting that “power nap”, not calling on Friday night, and not calling on Sat morning early. Brutal!

i would leave the rabbits and turttles aloen.

:ph34r: sneek in and kill dogs!!!!!

but the rabbits are good bait if you sit on them, I know in texas thing will not last long. they are small with you sent on them coyote will take one and run .

i have hunted ranches that were called out and baiting was the onley way to havest

a coyote.i nock a hog down and never go up to it and shoot every dog that thinks it a free meal then go get it and the sorry dog with the holes in them.

( <_< but it is a good time shooting them rabbits <_< )

GOOD STORY ,AND GOOD HUNTING

Hey Woodrow,

At least you were out there. Sometimes that's what matters most. Just gettin to enjoy the silence.

You shoulda been callin Saturday morning at dawn though. Them fish will wait.

Wood person: Is not the 17 the COOLEST! I do not know what it is about that rifle, but is way COOL to shoot, and it does the job on jacks alright! :)

HEY WOODROW......i reckon there be a little truth to the sayin'

"ya snooz ya looz " ...you'll get em next time........

okcoyote :)

MarkA,

That is the best way to describe it......it's just plain cool. I love it!

okcoyote,

That ain't no lie! I snoozed, I lost! Like yall said though.......next time!

Sign in to follow this