Sign in to follow this  
cturne08

Nosler Varmint Bullets

Just wanting to do some load development for a new 6 x 45 and am wondering if anyone has shot the Nosler Varmint line of bullets. I've generally shot a V-max or Sierra bullet, and have had good luck. I see the Nosler bullets everywhere - which makes me nervous about them - (especially when reloading supplies have been strained). Any info, good or bad, is appreciated.

- Thanx

Used to have all my loads worked up with Nosler solid base bullets,great accuracy,great terminal performance.Then one day Nosler said"Hey,let's get stupid and make a hollow point with a polymer wedge in it" and they did. Unfortunately to do this,they apparently had to quit making all of the bullets I shot. I called the company and was basically told "tough cookies". Will never load anything made by Nosler again,they might just decide to quit making the one I might be using.

Patriot

I've tried many of the Nosler bullets, and have had satisfactory results with them. But for some reason, I always go back to Hornady's VMAX's. And I think it's because they have performed at least as well, or better, from a terminal performance standpoint, than the Noslers. Looking at my reloading logs, I discover that the VMAX bullets have a slight edge in accuracy, at least in my firearms. It's the old, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" syndrome as far as I'm concerned. Your mileage may vary, of course, and I'd suggest that you try them and compare results.

Thanks for the info. I have had good luck with the V-max as well, but have wondered about the Noslers for a while. They seem to be in good supply compared to others, at least around my local haunts, and are priced fairly low - which also worries me. - I may pick up a box and see why nobody else wants to try them : /

I have used the Noslers in my 22K Hornet with good results. Found them on sale at a great price so gave them a try. Have never tried anything but the 40 grain.

I quit using noslers because there is only 50 in the box.

If you are talking about the Nosler varmint Ballistic Tips I have used them quite a bit. I am on my 3rd box(70gr BT’s) of 250 per box so not huge numbers but enough to know they shoot well. I have had 3 6X45mm”s but only have two right now. Both will shoot the Nosler into tiny little groups. My Cooper 6X45mm loves them. I also load them in my DTech AR in 6mmDTi and they are sub MOA quite regularly.

I shoot all Brands of 6mm bullets Berger(68gr-80gr-87gr-88gr) Hornady 75grHP&Vmax-87gr Vmax and the Sierra’s in 70gr Blitz-King . I have been heard to say if your gun won’t shoot the 80gr Berger then it won’t shoot but the Nosler has no flies on it either. :cool:

If you are talking about the newer Nosler Varmegeddon bullets I have not had as much experience with only shooting a few groups from a friends AR with these particular ones and they shot fair around an inch 5 shot group.

They are reasonably priced though

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/567169/nosler-varmageddon-bullets-22-caliber-224-diameter-62-grain-hollow-point-flat-base-box-of-250

Sign in to follow this