Capt. John

surprise axis!

I have been doing pretty bad for the past few weeks with the passing of my daughter. Its been hard to bring myself to do stuff for fun. We got back from Illinois this past Sunday, thats were Giuliana was burried. Finally yesterday I decided to go see my good buddy in Mason. I took my other daughter Samantha with and the plan was to shoot my 30-06 a bit in preperation for the posse bear hunt and to help fill feeders on a ranch my friend manages and runs. Well we slept in to about 730 today and got to it. We went out and shot the rifle, it was good to go. Then went to the Mason feed store and loaded up on protein and corn. We went out and got to work. Half way through the morning we spotted a nice herd of axis coming out to a big pasture. This place has some nice axis, no monsters, but nice ones for sure. I was looking at them through my binos because a group of 12 bucks came out and they were all NICE. As I stood there my buddy said "hey, you want to shoot one?" I figured he saw a big doe so I asked which doe he was looking at. He said, "no, pick any buck you want and get to stalking!" I about fell over. It took a bit of convincing on his part for me to believe him but it didnt take long. I had seen a nice heavy horned buck towards the front and since I had Sam with me I didnt want to get to carried away with a long stalk, that and I was wearing an orange t shirt with no sleeves! We had a perfect stalk into the wind with Sam by my sie that ended in me shooting this nice 30 inch axis, well 30 on one side, the other side will be 30 once I fix the broken tip. Samantha was jumping up and down and we had a real good time with it. I just got him caped and in the freezer. I dont know much about trophy axis but I liked the look of this guy. God has really blessed me with some awesome friends, I dont deserve stuff like this but its nice when someone offers. We are gonna be eating good at the bear hunt!

100_1064_zps7cfce6e0.jpg

100_1071_zps7e85e679.jpg

That will make a nice mount!
Congrats!

John,

First, I love that proud smile on Miss Sam's face!! Congrats on a great Axis! He is a trophy and looks like he may go 30". I can recommend a good taxidermist up in your area........ <_<:D<_<

You might want to make some Axis chili and vacuum seal it for the Bear Hunt too. That is a lot easier to work with with everyone coming back at very different times at night.

Well Done!!!!!

Bob :P

Thanks guys, yes hes getting mounted! Yeah Bob, I am trying to figure something out to make it more camp freindly. He did make 30 almost on his left beem, actually 29 7/8 but I dont mind fudging a 1/8th of an inch!

Beautiful animal! Very cool that Samantha got to share the experience with you.