ticktock

Academy easing up on ammo purchase

The Academy in Burleson has for a while restricted ammo purchases (the high demand calibers) to no more than one box per caliber, three boxes total.

Starting last week, they've done away with the 3 box max total. They also allow more than one box in a caliber, up to a total of 100 rds in that caliber. So for example, 5 boxes of 20, 2 boxes of 50 in 9mm or one box of 100 in 9mm.

You may buy up to a brick of .22.

Your local Academy may have different restrictions.

Good to see things returning to a little more normal. They let me buy two boxes of 22LR a couple of weeks ago, total of 100 rounds.

Now hopefully folks will buy as they go,and rotate their stock.But I doubt it. Once it becomes available again,folks will burn up what they have,and the next "crises" will see the same panic buying again.The human animal never seems to learn.

Patriot

The Academy in Corpus has at least 3 times more ammo then they did 2 months ago. Also they now have put in a fairly large stock of reloading supplies dies, bullets , primers even presses .No powder but hopefully some day they will.

How are the prices at these stores that have ammo to sell? Significantly higher, or about the same as before, or somewhere in-between?

I believe I'll test this out over the next few days, as I am in the lovely country of Houston, TX. There are 2-3 Academy stores close by, and at least one Gander Mt. Hoping to score a few hundred rnds of 9, so my wife has some practice stuff. We have our stock, and rotate it while maintaining a certain level of "extras." Will file my report as time allows, and include the locations of the stores I hit up here!

Call Killer.........Out!

I picked up some 22lr at the Academy in Corpus the other day it was well under 3 bucks for 50. Regular ammo prices looked normal. I have a hard time judging prices for factory ammo as Ive not bought any in many years. I did pick up some small rifle primers for 3.50 a box and they never said anything about a limit.

The Round Rock store near me has a lot more ammo now. They are allowing 2 boxes per caliber or one box if it is 100 round or more in the box.

Houston area Academies I've been in this week don't seem to have gotten the memo. Nothing in 9, 22LR, 22MAG, or 380.

Did not have a SIG P238 either..... I have one on hold for me now @ Star Arms in Stephenville, TX. Only place I've found to have one so far, so they win, lol!

Cal

Great store,CC. Great guys to work with. That's where I got my boy's 1911. Was in there a few weeks ago,and they had a Humongus Diamondback in a plastic tote under one of the counters.And,boy,was he Pissed!!Never quit buzzing the whole time we were there.

Patriot

Went by Academy RR today Got a box 22 lr 100 count, box 380 and 2 boxes 5.56. They had plenty. Had my eye on a Henry Golden Boy 22 lever action but the $400.00 price tag is a little more that I wanted to pay for a 22 rifle. Want a Ruger 10/22.

The Henry golden boys are a sharp little 22, I have a 44 mag Big Boy Henry and love it . Ive been thinking about getting one of the 22s also.

The Academy in Denton Area (Lewisville) get ammo on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. There was always a line on Friday sometimes up to about 30-40 people waiting for the store to open at 8 AM. The last month or since about July 10 or so the line has dropped to about 15 folks or so. The ammo is there if you just go by the store around 8-8:30

CCI 22 LR Mini-Mag 100 rds $7.45

CCI 22LR Std Velo 40 rds $3.49

AmericanEagle 22LR 40 rds under $3.00 and the same for Remington 22 Golden bullets 40 count under $3.00

I work in the H&F dept at the Academy in Ft. Smith, AR so I may be able to chime in on this one. Our ammo shipments come in everyday but Tuesday during the week (Mon. Wed. Thurs. and Fri.) Unless a truck gets cancelled, which more times than not is the Fri. truck - being that the shipment isn't big enough or worth running a truck from our DC - when this happens they add that freight (ammo) to the Mon. shipment. -- all stores are now allowing 2 boxes of the high demand ammo to be purchased and as ticktock said one brick of .22. The only two tips to help I can guve are: 1. The overnight freight crews have a phone on them and SHOULD answer it before the store opens at 8. So if you call at say 7 a.m., they can tell you what kind of ammo they have on that truck. 2. Ammo shipments on Mondays are generally the largest and since they don't get trucks on the weekends (and those are the busiest days for retail) they generally run out.

Sorry for length.

Hope this helps.

Good info, Cturne08.

Nice to have a little inside intel before having to drive into the Big City and coming up empty!