Sign in to follow this  
Slew

Heck of a lease trip!!!

Well last week my buddy at the lease mentioned he was going to run down there Friday and come home Sunday and he was gonna drive right through town and I could hop in the truck if I wanted! Work here has slowed down finally and I didn't have anything planned so I threw a few clothes and my contact case in the truck w some groceries and headed South! Didn't have any hunting stuff with me since I'm working outta town staying in a hotel but did manage to find a extra skinning knife in the truck. We drove through the gate about 430 and got unpacked and went to check feeders and cameras. Nobody has been down in a while and sadly most feeders were empty. About 8pm I was walking to a stand on the back corner of the lease in a yellow LSU t shirt and blue jeans toting a borrowed 270. About 150yds from the feeder I stopped to see if anything was moving around and dang if 3 axis weren't crossing the trail 40yds to my left! I dropped to 1 knee and a sent a 130gr ballistic tip towards some spots! I watched him run about 75yds and was getting a little nervous when I heard him crash in an oak mott. 3rd season on the lease and my first axis buck was on the ground! Measured 27" on the right side and 26.5" on the left. He was starting to grow a 4th point on the left side, I though that was cool! Going to get a skull mount and the hide tanned to send to Wildlife Artistry for axis pillows! I was on cloude nine Friday night and by the time we cooked dinner, had a few cold drinks, before we knew it was 1am! We hit the campers and woke up late the next morning. Drove out the camp gate a little after 715. Tim wanted to sit with his kids in the stand where I shot the axis so I went to another stand in the area. I've snuck up on this feeder before and seen auodad but never a good one. Slipping through the cedars towards the feeder I saw a couple auodad outside the pen but I wasn't ready to see 30 of them in the pen when I slipped to the stand. Glad they have bipods on all their rifles! I laid out prone under the stand and surveyed the scene. There were some nice ones in the bunch but one was definantly the biggest! Once he hopped out of the pen and turned to leave I let the 270 eat again. Shot him in the top of the shoulder and he fell on the spot! Recovered the bullet in the skin on the offside shoulder! 26" both sides. One of the better Auodad shot off our hill country lease! Wrapped up a heck of a weekend! Auodad is headed to my buddies taxidermist in OKC, as well as my axis meat. ;) Hard to store an axis in hotel minifridge! Oh well, small price to pay for a great weekend in the woods! Glad he talked me into going with them and swung by to pick me up!!

Slew :lol:

post-222-0-77803900-1375055560.jpg

post-222-0-44162400-1375055572.jpg

post-222-0-77803900-1375055560.jpg

post-222-0-44162400-1375055572.jpg

can I borrow your lease I will furnish my own rifle and bullets,ride gasoline,hotel. that is a good outing.

Nicely done, Slew! Congratulations!!

can I borrow your lease I will furnish my own rifle and bullets,ride gasoline,hotel. that is a good outing.

I second that thought! :D

Man what a great trip . Two superb animals in one trip !!

That was a great trip!

Kind of a boring trip, huh?? <_<:):)

WOW! I still have both of those on my bucket list. You got two great ones! You will really like Dodie's Axis pillows.

Big time congrats!! Now, when would you like there for the Axis steaks???? (Roasts are OK too.)

Bob :P

It sure made putting 66 bags of corn in feeders go alot easier!!! :D Not to mention a little bit of redemption from the auodad tearing up one of my feeders 2 or 3 times now? If we don;t have it fixed this time I'm gonna hafta get a winch up feeder I guess? They're smashing the coon cage and feeder off and all the corn runs out. Kinda painful at $10 a bag...

Amazing hunt. 2 beautiful animals!!!! You make it pretty hard for a poor Missouri boy to get ahead. :wub::wub::wub:

Amazing hunt. 2 beautiful animals!!!! You make it pretty hard for a poor Missouri boy to get ahead. :wub::wub::wub:

I'm not buying that! I seen your African trip report!! Thats a bucket list trip for sure I guess someday! :lol:

Sign in to follow this