Sign in to follow this  
Bennie

Magnum small pistol primers

I have never used magnum small pistol primers for a standard load , do you have to make any powder adjustments ?

Bennie, there's quite a bit of debate on this subject! Are you surprised?? At least as many opinions as there are reloaders. The powder companies do not recommend it. I don't do it. But what I've read on other forums and in exchanges with other reloaders, the one thing that's agreed is that, if you insist on using mag primers, start at the absolute minimum powder charge recommended, watch carefully for pressure signs, and creep up from the minimum charge VERY slowly. I would never suggest using mag primers in either rifle or hand gun reloads unless recommended/suggested for the load.

I would back off the charge and work up...........

I have used mag rifle primers in non mag loads but developed the load using them............on occasion, I have seen mag primers produce better groups.

I second what GonHuntin said, In rifle cartridges I notice a smaller deviation in velocity's using magnum primers but can think of no need for them in small pistol cartridges. Am I missing something?

I bought the primers didn't notice the magnum on them . I haven't loaded any of them , was just wondering if and when I did what difference it would make .

Im trying to figure out why they would even make mag small pistol primers, maybe for artic conditions. Beats me plumb to the floor.

Bennie I have used and do use sp mag's in 9mm when using ball powder's it "usually" give's a cleaner burn (less residue in the barrel and action after firing several hundred round's) I do reduce the powder charge and work up especially when using heavy for caliber bullet's (147gr Oregon trail lead bullet is one of my favorite's)

I agree,start low + work up. Don't use your old std.primer data. I know some that do but it is not advisable. On moderate loads you will probably have no problems other than a minor POI shift. With more semi-comp loads you open yourself up to potential problems due to higher flash rate/increased pressures,ad nauseum. I speak mainly about rifle cals. but the same does apply to pistols as well. Safety first.

Im trying to figure out why they would even make mag small pistol primers, maybe for artic conditions. Beats me plumb to the floor.

357 mag, especially using slow powders..........

Nosler data lists the Win SP mag primer for all their 357 mag loads

Sign in to follow this