Sign in to follow this  
Bobcat

YES-They can be dangerous!

MikeI sent this story to me. It is a good reminder for all of us not to get too complacent around wild hogs. They can be very dangerous, especially when wounded. Those tusks are razor sharp.

I would like to "thump" his hunter with a 2x4!

Bob :P

The Story:

I've hunted with Randy before. He's a big ol' country boy and not afraid to get down and dirty with a hog. We tracked my son's boar one night and had to get busy with a Glock .40. He hog hunts for a living. But the odds caught up to him a few days ago.

He had a few hunters in for a donated hunt for the Leukemia Society (or something like that). Hunter made a bad shot on a big boar with a .300 Win Mag. They went in after him and couldn't find him. Randy had walked the area a couple times. He had the hunter and his wife with him. He climbed up on a fallen pine tree and jumped down to the other side. As soon as he hit the ground the boar was on him.

Randy fought him off for awhile by kicking him but the hog didn't act like most of them (hit you and run off). He just kept charging. And kept charging. And kept charging. Soon Randy was bleeding from the thigh, wrist, and hands. He was losing a lot of blood and finally got pizzed off.

He was able to grab the hog's head and pin him by getting a knee on his neck. He yelled at the hunter several times to shoot the hog. "HURRY UP! I NEED SOME RELIEF!" Finally the guy snapped out of his shock and came up and put the hog down.

Randy started tying off wounds the best he could and got his wife to drive him to the hospital in Crockett. One surgery, 56 stitches, and a whole bunch of antibiotics later...he is back at home recuperating. The doctor said the tusks just barely missed the main artery in his wrist and it would have got real bad, real quick if that got cut.

He said, "I reckon I'll have to start carrying a pistol again". But he said the hog was on him so fast he didn't even see him coming and wouldn't have had time to draw.

I was driving through Centerville today and decided to call my buddy Randy. He was at the Langley Ranch recovering from getting charged by a 175 lb. boar.

HogAttack_zps6183d11a.jpg

HogAttack2_zpsb450125d.jpg

HogAttack3_zps8117537a.jpg

HogAttack4_zpsa9e440d0.jpg

I just heard from Randy. He is back in the saddle again. It has been a rough two weeks......

Randy is the co-owner and guides for the Langley Ranch in Centerville, Texas.

Yep, you are right, 2Click.............start carrying grenades!!!

The spookiest part to me of the whole ordeal my 8 year old daughter had been helping me guide the hunt all day.. She loves what I do and had been stride for stride with me all day until she got hot and went home about 5 minutes before I took the hit. I never let her help except for at the skinning rack of if we have hunters that are very good friends of ours. This was a different kind of hunt that we had donated so I didn't mind her being around the hunters because it was a fun celebration type hunt. We had rode the ranch on mules and she showed off our duck ponds and alligator ponds and actually put the hunter on two other hogs in different pastures before this happened.

In all honesty Ive been expecting this to happen to me eventually. I get charged on a regular basis. Its just part of what I do. Ive been doing it daily for about 10 years and figured one of these day I'm going to get a leg or calf cut and Ill end up with some stitches. I never imagined Id end up in two hours of surgery and 56 stitches. Im glad it was me that got cut.. Im glad it wasn't my daughter, my hunter, his friend or my father in law who had been helping us. Ill take the charge any day for my hunters. Cant tell you how many times its happened this one just turned out bad for me.

Y'all have to realize we kill 3-5 hogs a day everyday probably 1,200-1,500 in a year and our hunting outfit stays booked up about two years in advance. I do this all the time, I really don't know anyone else that has more experience dealing with wild hogs than we do. Folks really don't realize what I do until they see it.

I used to carry a gun and a big knife. Hunters would wound hogs Id run through the brush & finish them off and I would end up killing more hogs than my hunters were. They were like "thanks man.. appreciate it.."I just drove all the way from New York to hunt and watch you kill my hogs for me. So over time I started leaving my weapons at home and let my hunters do all of the shooting. Except when I have small children hunting with me. I always carry something when I have kids that I'm guiding. In time I had learned a pretty good defense to keep the hogs off of me that has been successful for the past ten years or so. Sad thing is I broke my own rule when I had my own daughter with me unarmed.

Tracking at night I carry. If I know I'm dealing with a bad hog I carry. Typically when I'm tracking I carry. This was a spot & stalk in the middle of the day and it never crossed my mind to strap anything on. I had just got a new Kimber a month or two ago and I had been carrying it relentlessly even hunting because its my carry gun. Except for this day. I think it would have saved me a few stitches on my hands but my thighs would of still be had he hit me so hard and fast.

I had the wind at our faces headed south. It was me, my daughter, the hunter and his lady friend. I found a dark black spot and pointed it out to my hunter. From that spot the hunter moved in closer the rest of us stayed behind. The shot was close from about 15 yards as we stalked up a creek he was above us in the high bank of the creek. I saw instantly he hit him in right in the flank with a .300 win mag with a Barnes TTSX had a small gut hanging out. No blood but his back legs wouldn't work. He was just as fast as he would normally be dragging himself around with his front feet. I commented how he had excellent front wheel drive. He took off out of sight almost instantly. All I knew was the direction he had went. Again no blood. At this time I turned to my hunter and said this is when people get hurt. When hogs are wounded they get incredibly aggressive, be careful. Not once did I think of myself Ive been through this countless times. I wanted them to be cautious. We tracked for probably a good hour. Figured we'd find him dead somewhere in that much time and if it was still alive he was probably immobile.

The charge was unavoidable. I got caught in a small opening as I came over a pine log. As soon as my feet hit the ground he heard me and sprinted out of a yaupon thicket, I had no where to go. He hit me harder and faster than Ive ever been hit before, and Ive been hit allot. I kicked him off the best that I could but at some point I made a mistake and I remember him being up around my belly button and I panicked. I think this is where my hands got involved. Which you should never do. I tried backing out but he followed me. About this time I knew I was cut I could feel blood flowing and It made me mad. I knew the lady that was with the hunter was right behind me and I knew I couldn't let the hog get to her. So I kept fighting. I eventually kicked the hog hard enough he did a 180 and got his butt to me.

I jumped in on him and I flanked him like a calf and got him down. I got my knee on him but he kept biting me and hitting me with his teeth. I got a hand in around his mouth and was able to hold his mouth closed and his head down as I called for the hunter. I said come shoot this son of a ***** I need some relief. This is the second hog that I have ever seen in 10 years that would relentlessly keep coming back to me charge after charge and not leave. They get incredibly dangerous when wounded.

I wanted to go to the hospital in College Station because I couldn't feel my fingers and I knew my wrist was in bad shape. I knew I had to get to a dang good hospital. I had lost a whole lot of blood and knew I couldn't make the hour and a half drive over there.
So my wife drove me to Crockett figured if I was too bad they'd do what they could then send me somewhere else.

I knew I was bad off when the ER folks freaked out and the on call dr punted and called a surgeon. The surgery staff at ETMC Crockett took great care of me. They were kind caring country folks who understood what happened and did their best for me even though they had to come in on a Sunday night. I was cut up so bad and so bloody my only option was to be knocked out for a couple hours so they could clean up and fix all of my lacerations.

Yes I do have his head and man its got some huge cutters. I'm not a big fan of hog mounts but I'm about to have one of my own. I sure went about getting it the hard way.

I plan on carrying all the time now. I have no doubt I will most likely get cut again but hopefully it wont be as bad as this one.

I'm doing fine. I'm a little sore where I'm swollen and Ive got more patchwork and stitches in me than a worn out quilt but I'm just fine. The Good Lord was looking after me because just a hair deeper on my wrist and it would have all been over with.

Guess my work here isn't quite done.

Hey Randy,

First, welcome to the Posse! I appreciate the update and the "whole story"! I am glad you are doing better and that it wasn't worse.

Take Care,

Glad your doing better! Saw this on another site but didn't have the story with it. Wild stuff!!!

Have a few days (weeks?) off and recover fully, those deep wounds take a while to heal properly.

Not all that long ago, Col Allison, one of our more experienced hunting writers, got ripped up badly by a Warthog that was hanging around the game ranch where he was staying in Namibia or somewhere like that. The hog nearly got his Femoral Artery and "crown jewels" a couple of times before a little dog distracted the animal and someone found a gun to shoot the thing.

Lucky for you, someone was looking out for you, and I don't mean your companion on the hunt either.

I was very sorry to hear of your brutal attack by that swine. It is extremely good news that you are successfully 'on the mend'. Hopefully, any pain that you are having will go away.

This is what I have learned:

Randy : "I plan on carrying all the time now. I have no doubt I will most likely get cut again but hopefully it wont be as bad as this one."

A handgun may, or may not, have prevented the attack, and it may, or may not, have lessened the severity of the attack. I want to feel that I have at least a fighting chance, though, so I carry all of the time.

Is there clothing that would resist the cutting and tearing action of a hog's tusks. I guess that comfort would be a consideration, no use being like a Knight in Shining Armour without his horse and it would be of little use if the material was so hot you couldn't wear it in the hot part of the year. I did see an add in a US outdoors mag a couple of years ago for "Turtle Skin Chaps" that were supposed to be rattle snake fang proof but a rattler ain't a 150Lb pig with a bad attitude.

Take care and heal fully before you go hunting on foot again.

Made out of fire hose? Well, that would work but they would need bloody big hoses to fit around my "ample" figure.

Thanks for the kind words fellers.

Putting on armor to hunt hogs just aint conducive to doing it every day twice a day. Might be for some folks it just aint for me. I do wear Chippewa snake boots frequently and theyve saved me from getting cut on numerous occasions.

Ive been hunting with a .45 on each hip lately theyve been treating me well. :D

Sign in to follow this