WhoMe

Light Mount

Came up with a cheap mount for hunting lights with a 1 inch O.D. tube. 1c146b4e-004b-4c23-8fb3-bcdea9f25050_zps.

1 AR accessory rail

b22c0123-8560-4f2b-9735-7a5445a19986_zps.

Cut rail so you can bolt it to other half.

e349bff5-181e-4895-9c20-033737934fcd_zps

487d4a0d-ded5-4e76-9914-f08463682e86_zps.

Two one inch scope rings. One mounted on scope at angle of your choice. Attach short side of rail to the ring on the scope. Attach second ring to top side of rail and mount light in the second ring.

IMG_1734_zps25234988.jpg

Good idea, WhoMe! :wub::)

Only because I missplaced (lost) the shotgun mount my light came with. This was cheaper than a new shotgun mount.

Thanks Mikel. I didn't router the edges but I did file them off

Only because I missplaced (lost) the shotgun mount my light came with. This was cheaper than a new shotgun mount.

Necessity being the mother of invention!

Nice solution!

Thanks TxMike. I liked it so much I've built four of them. Got down to 15 min installed. The bad part is I'm out of cheap rings. Looks like I get to go to toys'r'us.

Cheap rings at Academy Redfield 1" scope mount rings $6.99. They have some that look the same that are higher, but look for the $6.99 ones.

Thanks texan4ut for the heads up.

Well went out an field tested light mounts this weekend. I started out buy setting up some targets (soda cans) any 4 different ranges 25-100 yards. Making sure to put my rifles in a solid shooting position, I brought my cleaning station with. One rifle was dead center of the light (the one in pics above). The other was on the right side of the main beam of light. Loosing the two machine screws holding the mount together I shifted the light to the crosshairs snuged them down good to go. Also noticed if you move the light farthe forward of the scope about 1.5 inchs or so the halo dissapears from the scope. All in all mounts worked great. Just need to work on my shooting abilitys after the sun goes down.

Used your light mount idea to mount a light to make a hand held light. 1 AR rail accessory cut as noted above, a AR fore grip and a cheap Redfield Scope ring. The light is one I bought from Deal Xtreme and have been using it as hunting light mounted on my AR until I got my VRL-1 light. I think this will make a great hand held one though.

post-20998-0-13202400-1373905677_thumb.jpg

post-20998-0-13202400-1373905677_thumb.jpg

Glad I could help. 😊 I found that the weaver quad lock rings work good to. The angle of the screws gives you access to the screws.

Awesome tidbit. Keeping on file as I prep for my first pig hunt. Any adverse affects on scope tubes over time? It would seem like the lever effect could torque the scope tube over time.

None so far. But I don't use those mounts on my expensive scopes. I have gone to mounting the rails on the stock or fore ends of my higher end rifles.

Did similar with my old 10/22 years ago. Surefire G2 flash light will fit 1" rings, has tail cap momentary button, and light/compact. Bought cheap 2 piece set of 10/22 rail mounts, took one and some 1/2" wood screws, mounted it forward on the wood stock just to where I could hit it with my thumb.........$2.50 for a great coon, skunk, possum killer! Worked better back before they started making .22LR ammo out of pure gold :rolleyes:

In the mid '80s Dad mounted a Q-Beam under his .243 in much the same fashion. Killed many a fox and coyote with that rig, and it even made for a forward grip. Guess we were really ahead of our time, lol! :)

Cal