Sign in to follow this  
Whack master

.308 and 4895

I just got a new Rem 700 sps Tac 20" with a 1 in 12 twist. I have 4895 as my goto powder for a number of rounds. Any one got one of these rifles? Also anyone load 165 gr pills with 4895? I also have a large amount of Tac, but I have only seen one reference to using Tac for the .308. thoughts?

Bob, you are RIGHT about the TAC. I never would have tried it during 'normal' times, but I got the new .308 build completed back during the height of the latest craze, and reloading supplies were in short supply. I had a spare jug of TAC that had been sitting on my bench for about a year, and a couple of boxes of 155 Berger VLD's that I had been meaning to try. My first run, I did a load with Varget and the 155's, and a run of TAC and the 155's (both to about the same velocity according to the manual).

When I went to the range to test both loads out, the ones loaded with TAC were consistently 0.8-0.9 MIL FLATTER shooting than the batch with Varget. Since a fellow shooter that regularly loads .308 had told me that Varget would probably be the first/last/and only powder I would need, I was VERY pleasantly surprised by how much better the rounds loaded with TAC performed in my rifle.

I just strolled out to my reloading bench to double check my load data for that batch of ammo. It was 42.0 grains of TAC for a velocity right around 2750 fps. 155 gr Berger VLD hunting bullet, and all rounds loaded to 2.80 AOL.

Since both loads were about 2750 fps, and had the exact same bullet, I'm really not sure what to chalk the 'flatter' shootingness of the TAC ammo to, but it was consistently just shy of 1 mil flatter at all ranges from 100 yards out to 750 yards.

...........and it sure meters easier!! :D

I also switched to Ramshot Big Game for my 7mm-08..........same results.

I am glad it worked for you!

Bob :P

Sign in to follow this