Sign in to follow this  
NavTex

Shot 2 nice Axis bucks

I went hunting on the Rain Creek Ranch between Brady and Menard this past weekend and shot two real nice Axis bucks on low fence. I have been here a couple of times and they always treat us real good, made us feel right at home. Kyle, the ranch manager is a real nice guy and he gets excited as much or more than I did when I shot these Axis!!!!

post-21609-0-71631800-1368675527_thumb.jpg

post-21609-0-71631800-1368675527_thumb.jpg

They are really nice animals , will make excellent mounts . I hunted about half way between Brady and Menard for eight years , never saw an Axis on the place we hunted . But saw them about 1/2 mile down the road , never figured out why we didn't see any !

The Raincreek ranch was right there across from that radio tower where there is the gate to the ranch. Its a High fence gate buts low fence on each side, they were going to high fence the place but changed their mind, the back of the ranch buts up to the Ford ranch.

Comgratulations! Good looking pair of animals.

Great Axis!! That one on the left is a real bruiser!!

When is the BBQ?????

Bob :P

Beautiful animals. Great job! :)

Just got a call from the butcher, the meat is ready. I was really impressed with the amount of meat I will be picking up. Back straps cut into cutlets, 22 pounds of jerky, 10 pounds of snack sticks, 122 pounds of Smoke german sausage!!!!! I took these two Axis to Miles, Tx, Sklenarik's Smoked Meats.

gorgeous trophies! For those of us obsessed with details, how about some info regarding gun/scope/load/conditions, etc.? Congrats!!!

I used a Thompson center encore pro hunter rifle with the thumb hole stock 7mag, leupold VX2 3x9x50 scope, 150 grain bullet. The first one shot in the picture is on the left, we were sitting in the blind, the feeder went off and that buck came in with another maybe larger buck, I couldn't decide which one was bigger so I went with the heaviest. Then also decided to try to shoot the other big one too, but with a single shot rifle this would make it a bit difficult but I did try and the second buck was long gone before I had the second shell in the chamber. The following morning we got up in a different blind and the Axis buck on the right side in the picture showed up, I watched him for a while and decided to shoot him, my age judgement was a little off, he was a 3 year old, I was guessing a 4 year old. Weather conditions were nice during the day mid 80s, muddy. It rained both nights we were there.

Something that I have never experienced before was when laying down to go to sleep, you could hear the bucks doing that roar sound over and over. Very cool place to go!!!!!

Sign in to follow this