Or maybe its just old people amusing themselves. Almost everyday my bride and I shoot rats with pellet guns. Our pellet guns are Benjamin Trail NP, Nitro Piston, in .22 cal. They are adult air rifles and aren't particularly cheap but we think they are a good value. We have both the wood and all weather models. It takes at least 100 shots to break these guns in so they will achieve a decent degree of accuracy. They do come with the 3 x 9 scopes and slings. We have only had them for about two months and have fired 1,000 pellets each. They are a blast. The wooden ones are about a pound lighter but I can't say they are worth the extra expense, it isn't wood of any quality. Nitro Piston much more accurate than springers IMHO.

post-18185-0-44304000-1368536554_thumb.jpg

We have three deer feeding areas on the ranch and the rats seem to eat as much of the deer corn as the deer do so we decided we should eliminate some of them. You don't need a big lease to do this nor drive long distances. These air rifles are pretty quiet so this activity can be pursued pretty much any where you can spread a little corn or other attractant for the rats. If you gentlemen have any idea that shooting rats with a pellet gun at 20 to 30 yards is not as challenging as shooting prairie dogs at 200 to 300 yards, just try it. Pellets cost about $9 for 500, what .22's should cost. Like prairie dog hunting you get to shoot a lot and miss a lot but at least you not at work or watching TV. We also have red flashlights, sniper hog lights or similar, mounted on our Ranger so we can hunt them at night but we have found that the little varmints come out very quickly after we dump the corn so they can be hunted in the daytime also. Yesterday must have been "Make a Rat Day" as they were coming out much bolder than usual and chasing each other, basically acting like rabbits in courtship. Here is the result from one feeding area yesterday and we only had to move one of them to get the picture. They didn't seem to mind that their comrades were lying there dead so some of them died right next to the ones that had already fallen. We shot about a dozen rats and four rabbits yesterday that were eating the corn and with the fawns on the ground the does need the corn a lot more than these pests. The rabbits go in the bream feeder but that is another story. If you like to shoot a lot without breaking the bank try rat hunting. Shooting snakes with these pellet guns as they swim across the pond is fun too but the rats are most abundant. Again if you think this is a kids game just try hitting one of these little things at a measured 30 yards. In fact it makes me laugh when I see a hunting show where they are shooting hogs at 25 yards with a pistol or bow. Try shooting a rat at that distance.

post-18185-0-79079700-1368539535_thumb.jpg

post-18185-0-44304000-1368536554_thumb.jpg

post-18185-0-79079700-1368539535_thumb.jpg

More fun toys!! What a hoot!! Great way to keep your shooting skills sharp too.

Rat on a stick for supper? <_<

I bought a pellet pistol to keep in my camper for pest a rv parks it does come in handy under 20 yards, I may have to try a rifle, I also have 22 shorts that are nice to rack up some shooting when i can find the bullets.

Mine is a Gamo Silent Cat .177 cal pellet shoots at 1250 fps. I use it for target shooting and small game. Fun to shoot.

post-20998-0-57908100-1368540934_thumb.jpg

post-20998-0-57908100-1368540934_thumb.jpg

I have a Gamo .177 also. Rose and I have been shooting mice in the chicken house on rainy days. It is definately a ton of cheap fun. I'm glad I do not have a rat problem. I'm not sure my quail could fend very well against those monsters that Frank is dealing with.

I have a Gamo .177 also. Rose and I have been shooting mice in the chicken house on rainy days. It is definately a ton of cheap fun. I'm glad I do not have a rat problem. I'm not sure my quail could fend very well against those monsters that Frank is dealing with.

Just to keep the record straight I also have a Gamo Varmint Hunter HP .177 Caliber Air Rifle w/4X32 Scope, Laser, Light that I have had for several years and I wouldn't give you a dime for it. Maybe I got a lemon. As for the rats, everyone has them but we might have them in great abundance because of the large amount of natural forage available; however, they so seem to like corn. As for quail we have tons of them. I don't recall seeing so many pairs in many, many years. Can't wait 'till they hatch, little buzz bombs will be everywhere. Soon we will have game camera pictures of coveys of Quail visiting the corn. We don't shoot them, just watch 'em.

I have a Winchester break-barrel .177 cal. pellet gun that I ostensibly bought for my wife to shoot grackles with a number of years ago. She doesn't have the strength it takes to cock the thing, so it's pretty much useless for her. If you can shoot it open-sights, it is very accurate, assuming you can learn to squeeze a 15 lb. trigger and keep it on target. The recoil from the spring-operated action is such that I have never been able to get any scope assembly to keep it's zero for more than a few shots, thus the reason for shooting strictly open-sights. At 1200 fps it easily shoots through 1/2" plywood at 10 yards, and has a report like a .22 long rifle. I have used it to kill a couple of coons in the barn, and it did a number on them. The reason I mention all of this is to let those of you who might be considering buying a pellet gun know that if you go the cheaper (not necessarily cheap) route, there are some drawbacks to consider. The spring operated pellet guns can be useful and effective, but are not the best for everyone's use. Save up a little extra and get something better.

I have had, and continue to have, a lot of fun with my airgun arsenal! Shooting little things with little projectiles at little ranges can give you lots of trigger time.

http://www.dto.com/shooting/article/771

Man I grew up shooting rats around barns in South Dakota. It was a ton of fun. That and shooting gophers too. Every time I go back home we go out into the pastures to shoot gophers.