Sign in to follow this  
livetohunt

Question about turkey meat

On Saturday I had a chance to turkey hunt and I shot my first tom. Problem was, I had to be back in San Antonio to pick my dad up at the airport that night. As soon as shot my bird at 7 o'clock, I tagged him and began to make the drive home. By the time I got Dad home, butchered my turkey and got it in the freezer, it was 11. My question is, will the meat still be fine to eat after those 4 hours?

-Chase

If you removed its entrails immediately, chances are the meat will be OK. If you didn't field clean it right after you shot it, I'd advise against taking the chance of eating it. It was 84 here in Mason, and San Antonio is generally a bit warmer than we are. 4 hours, with the innards in tact, in that heat is a recipe for spoiled meat. Save a bunch of the feathers, the beard and the spurs, and stay away from the meat.

I agree with Mike. For future hunting, I recommend cutting out the breast when I don't have time to clean the bird. You can knock out the breast in 5 minutes and throw it in a beer cooler for safe keeping. It is by far the best part of the bird anyway.

At this stage of the game, does not matter. If the bird was killed at 7:00 am and you cleaned at 11:00 am, you are okay. I have killed or seen killed hundreds of turkeys taken about sunrise and they were not cleaned until we went the lodge at noon as we wanted to continue hunting. I do this routinely and have never had a problem. I do try to keep the bird in the shade rather than leave in the bright sun.

Adios,

Gary

Consider the Victorian Englishman who prefered hung pheasant (for a week),how they stayed alive I will never know. I agree as to pulling the breast as that is really the meat of the turkey. We used to do a regular fry down here at the roping arena during season. Several of the guys would bring in their catch. We would cut it up into 2/2 cubes + deep fry after a coating of corn meal,salt + pepper+ paprika.. The ladies would bring beans + cole slaw.Beer was involved so there was usually dancing into the night.What memories. Why it does'nt happen anymore. I remember 35 years ago when we would go over to Weir + have the annual street dance. We put up saw ponies right there on the F.M. + R.R. + just basically shut down the highway (thank God there was no traffic to speak of then) + danced the night away. I ramble,seems that the more that our society "advances" the less I am impressed,miss the old days.I often think of my grandparents + how disturbed they must have been with such radical change.

Sign in to follow this